Something Like Normal. XVI.

JOCELYN

I noticed Yuri was day dreaming when I was bring over his cake. I sat down around the big around table of the restaurant with Yuri host parents to celebrate his eighteenth birthday. I wanted to know what’s been on his mind the last three weeks, but I wanted Yuri to enjoy this birthday. It’s a big day since he was an adult now!

I came up behind him and placed the double chocolate birthday cake in front of Yuri with the sparkly candles, “Happy birthday! S dneom rozdenya!” I sang to Yuri. He jerked, then chuckled as he looked at the clapped. His host family wished happy birthday to him. I sat in my chair next to him, “Let us put you threw the pain of awkwardness of singing you happy birthday, Yuri!” I begged since last year when I tried, he cut me off half way and made me stop.

“Oh, one moment.” he said. He quickly blew his candles out and I pouted at him.

“Party pooper.” I said.

“What did you wish for, Yuri?” Emily asked.

“Oh, uh—that Jocelyn will go up there on stage and sing a song.” Yuri said as he grinned at me as my eyes widen.

I laughed, “Really funny, Yuri.”

“I’m serious, Jocelyn, go up there and sing me a song.” He said and I scoffed. I wasn’t sure if I should laugh at how hilarious he is or angry at him for putting me on the spot since his host parents started to encourage me to go up there. I hate people’s eyes on, I don’t care that this is a karaoke restaurant and these people already seen bad talent. I’m not going up there and they can’t make me! “Come on, Jocelyn, it’s my birthday wish. Are you going to make it come true or not?”

“Blackmail won’t work Yuri Abramov.” I said.

“One song.” he said as he held up his index finger. “There’s not even that many people here.”

“Come on, Jocelyn, it’ll be fun.” Daniel said and Yuri agreed.

“Da, see he even wants you to go up and sing your little heart out.” Yuri said and I hit his arm. “What are you scared of, Jocelyn?”

“Nothing!” I said a little too quickly and groaned. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, “I don’t want to look like an idiot.” I said as I opened my eyes. “Last time I went up on any kind of stage, I ran off it because I had girl problems.”

“That was a long time ago.” he said. “If you do something embarrassing I’ll—I’ll smash this cake on my head.”

“Whoa!” Emily yelled. “Let’s not go too far, Yuri. Give me a piece before you do that.”

“I worked hard on making you this cake, Yuri.” I said.

“And it’s very beautiful, so you better go up there and sing me a song.” he said and I groaned as I anxiously looked up at the stage. He gave me an encouraging tug, “Go.”

YURI

I saw Jocelyn turn green as she slowly walked over to the stage and walked up. She hesitantly talked to the DJ and she scrolled threw a list on the iPad. I knew she found a song when her eyes widen slightly and she pointed at the song. The DJ nodded and held his hand out towards the mic. Jocelyn was nervous as she walked over and her hands played together.

The song started played and Jocelyn gave me a glare. I chuckled as I leaned on the table and watched her clear her throat. She opened her mouth when the lyrics on the screen came up, but no words came out.

The DJ stopped the song and Jocelyn swallowed deeply, “Sorry—sorry can we try that again?” she asked him and he nodded. Oh no, she looked sick like she was going to puke. She took a deep breath, “The strands in your eyes; that color them wonderful; stops me and steals my breath; and emeralds from mountains—“