Chapter One

Lauren’s Point Of View:

I was awoken by a terrible scream; my little sister was having a nightmare again. I bolted up in the bed and rushed to her aid to calm her. My mother was in the village I reckoned.

My little sister Sarah lay in my mother’s bed where she usually slept every time she had a nightmare. It has been happening occasionally since she turned twelve and of course today was the reaping.

‘Sarah, its okay’ I pulled her into a hug. ‘Relax, it’s just a dream’ I said in a soothing tone trying to calm her in any way I could. She sobbed into my shoulder, shaking from her nightmare. It took me a few minutes to calm her.

‘You go back to sleep’ I said, kissing her forehead.

‘I can’t’ she said barely audible.

‘You can, just try; I have to go I’ll be back as soon as I can’

She nodded lying back down. I kissed her forehead once more before walking over to Sarah’s and my bed, putting on a jacket and slipping into my hunting boots and trousers and leaving the house. Our house is almost near the edge of the seam, so I didn’t have to run very far to get to the fence to get to the woods. It was supposed to be an electric fence on for twenty-four hours, but where we live in District 12 we are lucky to even get three hours of electricity a day. I climbed through the fence and ran into the woods.

As I got into the woods, I retrieved my bow and arrow and went hunting for food. All I could capture was a wild bird. Ah well at least we could make stew from that. I didn’t mind what we got as long as we got some food and not starve to death it was ok.

I heard a rattling from the bushes and immediately hid thinking it was a peacekeeper but no it was only my best friend Naks.

‘Oh thank god I thought you were a peacekeeper’ I said my heart racing.

‘No, I saw you come in earlier so I said I would come in to see if you gotten anything’ she said.

‘Just a bird, will feed us though, Mum will make stew from it’

She nodded and we walked back towards the fence. I put away my bow and arrows in the usual spot and walked to the square with her. The place was getting ready for the reaping. I sighed at the thoughts of even going to this today a boy and a girl from each of the twelve districts where going to be picked today and will battle to the death and only one will be the winner.

People were already getting ready for the reaping which is now in an hour.

 ‘I should get home’ I said to Naks.

‘Yeah we should, I’ll see you in the square soon’

I nodded and headed towards the house.

As I walked in Sarah was ready for the reaping, she was pale in the face as it was her first reaping. I was sure her name wouldn’t be called out as her name will only be in once as it was her first year being entered in the games.

‘I have a dress laid out for you too Lauren’ my mum said with a small smile.

‘Okay’ I got up walking into my room to get ready for the reaping; I washed myself and put on the dress.  My mum tied my hair up neatly.

Now it was time to go to the square.

As we walked to the square, each child was quiet; every one of them hoping it wasn’t going to be them. After the reaping the two families of the two tributes chosen will close up their windows and brace themselves for the weeks to come, hoping their child won’t be killed. While the other families will have their children again for the next year, again hoping they won’t be picked next time.

As we walked to where we signed in, Sarah froze to the spot letting go of my hand. I turned and walked over to her. ‘It’s okay Sarah all they are going to do is take a little bit of blood just a little bit’

She looked like she was going to panic as the nightmare was becoming her reality. ‘Will it- Will it hurt?’ she murmured.

‘Just a little bit, but only for a second then it is done, it’s okay’

 She slowly nodded.

 ‘I’ll come get you after the reaping ok?’

She got in line and got her blood taken; she winced and worriedly looked at me as she went over to her age group.

Once everyone was in, The major walked up to the microphone and went through the same yearly routine before he introduced the bright and bubbly Effie Trinket, from the Capitol. With her painted face and her ‘perfect’ hairstyle. To me she looked funny.

She tapped the microphone and cleared her throat then cheerfully spoke into the microphone.

‘Happy Hunger games! And may the odds be ever in your favour!’

I stood next to Naks, looking up at the podium the whole time.

It was now time for the drawings. As always it was ‘Ladies First’. She walked across to the glass ball with all the girls’ names and dug deep into the ball, taking out one of the pieces of paper. Not even a sound out of each child in the crowd. She walked back to the microphone and opened the slip. I felt sick to the stomach as she opened the piece of paper.

It wasn’t me.

She called out the name ‘Sarah Larkin’