Chapter Three

Lauren’s Point Of View:

I was put in a room in the building. I am scared to death about this. I sat on the couch biting my nails which I normally do when I’m worried or scared. I heard the door open and a voice from one the peacekeepers ‘You have three minutes’

Sarah and my mother came in. Sarah rushed to me and hugged me ‘Lauren, please win, I want you to come back’ her eyes were puffy and red; she looked as though she was crying.

I nodded and forced a smile across my face. I looked at my mother and walked over to her ‘Naks will help you get food’

She nodded slowly and I hugged her ‘I love you both’ I said as this could be the last time I could ever say this to them.

The peacekeepers opened the door and Sarah rushed to me again and hugged me. The peacekeepers escorted them out with Sarah screaming and crying to get to me. The peacekeepers slammed the door shut behind them. I wasn’t going to cry. I hate crying. I wish I could just leave this place, go back home, but I can’t. I stood by the window looking into the distance, while I heard the door open again. I turned and it was just Naks. She rushed to me and hugged me. ‘You are crazy’

I know I was but I wasn’t going to watch my twelve year old little sister battle in the Hunger Games. No way!

‘You are brave to do this’ she said.

‘I know, I don’t think I can kill people Naks’

‘You hunt animals’

‘Yeah but that’s different’

‘Basically the same you are killing living things’

She was right.

‘You have to promise me that you will look after my family, hunt food bring it to them’

‘I will Lauren, Have you talked to Liam?’

I never talked to this boy ever. He was a year ahead and lived in the town. He hung around with four other boys Louis Tomlinson, Harry Styles, Niall Horan and Zayn Malik. Zayn usually talked to Naks whenever she was in the town by herself. He liked her and she liked him. I never once talked to any of the boys and I wasn’t going to start. Liam’s parents owned a bakery in the town and he once threw a burnt slice of bread to me. Yeah I’m grateful for that and all but he never once talked to me.

‘No I haven’t’ I shook my head quickly.

Naks handed me a pin that had a symbol on it I recognised it a mockingjay

‘It will keep you safe, wear it in the arena’ she whispered.

‘Thank you’

Once it was time for Naks to leave she hugged me again and left.

Liam’s Point Of View:

I wish this was just one great big nightmare that I could just wake up from I do not want to compete in these games. I just want to go home.

Louis, Harry, Niall and Zayn walked into the room. I heard the screams and sobs of Sarah, Lauren’s younger sister as the door opened.

‘I don’t want to do this’ I muttered.

‘I know you don’t’ Niall said.

‘We want you to come back though mate’ Zayn looked at me.

‘I won’t win’ I shook my head.

‘Don’t say that you don’t know that’ Louis said.

‘Who am I kidding?! I don’t know a thing about fighting!’

‘You will learn though’ Harry said as he sat.

‘I suppose but there are twenty four tributes only one remains, District 12 never wins!’ I protested.

‘What about Haymitch Abernathy, he won before for district twelve so don’t say district twelve won’t win again’ Louis stated.

I shrugged, and then the peacekeepers arrived.

‘Good luck mate’ Niall patted me on the back, along with Harry, Louis and Zayn. They left. I wish I could be not even here, just let me be at home where I wanted to be. I eyes were already puffy and red from my parents visit and the boys never even mentioned it. I just sat and thought for a few minutes before I was escorted out to the car and leaving to the train station with Effie and Lauren and then we will meet our mentor Haymitch on our journey to the Capitol.