Chapter Four

Lauren’s Point Of View:

We got to the station and got on the train right after pictures being taken of us. We sat in a compartment which was like a living room, a table full of food. Cakes, buns, biscuits and a lot more food. I never ate cakes before.

‘Eat what you like’ Effie said.

I glanced at Liam then took a bun and sat down.

Liam didn’t take anything he just stared out the window.

I didn’t say anything to Liam I just slowly ate the bun. It tasted so good.

Effie looked around waiting for Haymitch. ‘Where is Haymitch, probably in the bar again’ she god up and left us. Oh great.

‘Have you met him? Haymitch?’

‘No, but I heard his always drunk’ I said not looking in his direction.

It was all small talk with Liam.

Haymitch, our mentor stumbled into the room. I turned my head to the door.

He stumbled over to where the drinks where. Liam and I looked at him as he sat down.

Haymitch drank what looked like whiskey.

‘So what is the plan?’ Liam asked.

‘Hmm’ Haymitch took a drink.

I didn’t like him. Liam went to take the drink off him but Haymitch pushed him back and make it accidently spill over his own trousers.

‘Oh you made me spill my drink, these are new’ Haymitch said as he got up and left the room.

‘I do not like Him’ I said quietly as he left the room.

Liam got up.

‘Where are you going?!’

‘To talk to him’ he left.

*                                          *                                               *                                                   *  

That night I watched the re-runs of today seeing the tributes of all twelve districts, the boy and the girl being chosen. It came to district 12, showing Sarah being picked then me rushing out and volunteering. It then showed Liam being picked and our handshake before the end of the show.

I turned off the TV, crawling into the bed. Tomorrow we would arrive at the Capitol and we then will be getting ready for the opening ceremony.

*                                        *                                                  *                                                 *

I had a dreamless sleep and was awoken by Effie’ voice ‘Up’ she said. I rolled out of bed and had a quick shower. I walked back into the room and got dressed.

I walked into the compartment and seen Haymitch and Liam sitting down eating breakfast. Effie was sitting on a chair fixing her hair. Liam looked at me and then continued to eat.

‘Come sit’ said Haymitch. I slipped into the chair and was served food. I ate as much as I could until I was stuffed. ‘So you have to give us advice’ I say.

‘Yeah well here is some advice, stay alive’ he said then bursted out laughing.

I looked at Liam, and then looked away again.

‘Very funny’ said Liam.

Haymitch took out a bottle and poured it into his tea. The smell of it. It was alcohol.

I was getting annoyed with Haymitch, he wasn’t given us proper advice.

‘Could you pass the butter sweetheart?!’ he asked in a moody tone.

‘Not until you give us proper advice’

He rolled his eyes and reached over to get the butter. I slammed the knife I had in my hand down into the table between his hand, barely missing his fingers.

Effie looked back shocked, just for the table.

‘Well, well Did I acutely get a pair of fighters this year?’ he asked.

I ignored him. Liam looked up ‘We’re here’ he said slipping out of the chair, walking straight over to the window.

To be honest I didn’t want to see people staring at us as we got to the station. The people with ‘perfect hair’, painted faces, weird clothes. The people who watch us die for entertainment. No thanks.

‘Lauren come over here’ Liam turned to me.

 ‘I’m good here’ I replied.

‘This place is amazing’ Liam said, and suddenly we went through a dark tunnel, blocking the city out as we entered the station where nearly what looks like the whole population of the Capitol waiting for the train to arrive.

Liam started waving at the people.

‘He knows what he is doing sweetheart’

Of course he did a good looking guy like Liam Payne, everyone will love him, he was sweet but to me he will kill me once the games begin.