Chapter 7

Chapter  7

"What do you think you're doing?!" I screeched upon knowing that we're not really heading home.

"I'm driving you know..." He said giving me a mischievous grin.

"Yes, I know smart ass! But I'm not blind! This road is going uptown." I said irritatingly. He's really getting into my nerves.

"Ella, relax...I'm not kidnapping you. I'm only taking you to dinner." Was his confident response.

"And who said that I'd like to dine with you? My God...you're so assuming!" I muttered.

"Hahaha...don't be ridiculous Ella, most girls would kill just to be with me." He said cockily and winked at me. As if I could be swayed by his charm (oh well, in a way I'm melting.)

"Grrrr...you're so full of yourself. I bet your head must be very heavy by now. It's so bloated!" I said in disgust.

"Hahaha...oh come on... I was just kidding. Don't take me so seriously. I'm only messing with you. You look so cute when you're riled up."

"Hmmppp! Now I'm regretting coming with you."

"Oh don't be...I promise I'll behave." And there goes his signature heartwarming smile. I wasn't able to come up with a sassy remark, so I just kept quiet and kept my eyes busy looking at the city lights.

To diffuse the silence, he turned on the stereo and Ed Sheeran's Thinking Out Loud floated. Wow just perfect!! It couldn't get any better. I was musing over the song when Joel sang along...

"And darling I will be loving you 'til we're 70
And baby my heart could still fall as hard at 23
And I'm thinking 'bout how people fall in love in mysterious ways
Maybe just the touch of a hand
Oh me I fall in love with you every single day
And I just wanna tell you I am" 🎶

OMG! This man can really sing like a pro. His voice is like a floating wave of clouds...soft, velvety, and so natural. I felt like being transported to oblivion. And when I've surfaced from that dreamy state, I applauded his rendition.

"Wow, you can be the next big thing in The Voice! Why don't you join?" I said amusedly.

"Don't flatter me. I would still treat you to dinner even without being so taken by my singing."

"No smarty reaction to that huh? I'm impressed. But really, with that voice you can become the next singing sensation."

"I'm happy with basketball. Singing is not really my thing. It's just something I don't wish to pursue. I know I can sing, it runs in the family, but I don't see it as a career. I already made my choice." He sincerely added.

What? Joel sounding sincere? That's a first. Oh well, who am I to judge. I've just met the guy early this morning. He may appear bold and straightforward at first, but I guess my perception of him is about to change. We'll see.

"What about you Ella, is there a hidden talent beneath that pretty face of yours?" He casually asked.

Huh... I didn't see that coming. I glanced at him and smiled. Then I replied, "Nah, there's not much about me...and if ever I have a hidden talent, I'd rather keep it hidden. Hahaha!!"

"Ows? Don't be such a killjoy. Spill...I won't tell a soul." He coaxed and gave me that signature smirk of his.

"There's nothing to tell really believe me. I'm plain and simple. There's nothing extraordinary about me. No hidden talent what so ever."

"Hmm.. I'll soon find out. We're next door neighbors remember?" And with that, he pulled into parking at La Vie Parisienne. Great choice. La Vie is one of the best when it comes to atmosphere and ambiance especially at night when it's illumined with mesmerizing lights. It's very photogenic with awesome interiors  and glowing tables. Somehow it gives its patrons a taste of real Bordeaux, France. I really love it here.

We ordered croissants and pizza and a couple of non alcoholic drink. I don't feel like sipping wine tonight. Good thing he didn't insist. This turns out to be something unexpected. I was thinking he'd take me to an eat all you can resto. I didn't peg him for this romantic type of guy. 😉

"Hey, you're so quite. You sure that's all you want to eat? You should try their macaroons it's one of the bestseller here."

"I'm good just enjoying the array of lights. I've tried their macaroons the last time I was here...it's figure busting. Haha..thanks but I'm not having any of those tonight."

"Health conscious huh? No wonder you're in such a good shape. Do you work out?"

"Yeah, I do at the school gym. Usually, after my last class."

"That's great! What are you taking up?"

"I took up BS in Physical Education."

"You took up... So you mean you're a graduate already?"

"Yeah, I am. Is it unbelievable?"

"I really thought that you're only nineteen. You look quite young."

"Looks can be deceiving you know. What about you? I bet you look younger than your age. Am I right?"

"Hmm.. Why don't you make a guess as to how old am I based on my looks..."

"Let me see... You look 30 but I'm sure you're already 35!" I joked, trying my best not to burst out laughing. I bet he's just around my age.

"What?! Do I look that old to you? FYI I'm only 24 you know!" He said with a huff.

"Aw how cute when annoyed! Hahaha..I was just messing around."

"Duh, if I know you said that on purpose to annoy me." He countered like a school boy. Hahaha his expression is so funny!

"Why don't we take a selfie," he suggested.

"As if I have a phone. It's broken remember?!" I shot him a hard look.

"Oopppsss...sorry I forgot. And sorry again for having it broken. Here, let's use my phone. Smile!"

We took several selfies from different angles. Most of which were wacky ones.

"I'll add you on facebook so I could tag these pictures with you," he added after taking all those selfies.

We stayed for more than an hour just enjoying the view and chatting about random things. I found out about his passion in basketball which rooted since grade school. He even had a chance of joining the PBA but unfortunately some personal matters surfaced. And he ends up with Cebu Stars. Not that bad though, since he's having a grand time. He didn't elaborate on that personal concern that stopped him from becoming a PBA player. It seems like it's something he doesn't want to talk about.

Going out with Joel tonight was unexpected. Good kind of unexpected. He may appear egoistic at first, but definitely he's more than just good looks. I sensed that there is a sensible man beyond his abs.

We headed home past nine o'clock. The car ride was filled with casual conversation as if we've known each other for a long time, when it fact it was only this morning. I enjoyed talking to him. He's funny and smart and not to mention...oozing with appeal.

He walked me to my door. And while I was fiddling with the key inside my sling bag, my heart did some flips and the butterflies in my stomach were in riot with our proximity. He was about an arm's length away, dark lashes hooded his tantalizing eyes. And he was staring at me. OMG!!! I was having a hard time finding the keyhole.

Finally, I managed to open the door. Good thing he didn't invite himself in. He just bid me good night and winked before turning his back and walked to his door.

My knees went jelly and I collapsed on the sofa.

{Hello lovelies,
Here's a chapter longer than my usual chapter length. I guess, I was just too excited with this new character Joel. Haha.. Anyways,  thank you so much for your continued support. Your vote really means a lot!  Each vote inspires me to write more. 😉]

XOXO
PretTilay 👸