Chapter 39

Chapter 39
ELLA'S POV

I was dumbfounded when Glynn told me that Allen is waiting for me at the dean's office. My god why is he here? Whatever he came here for, I don't want to find out. The nerve of this guy to show up after what happened. And really here at work? He sure has the balls to see me at my workplace.

But I won't give him the satisfaction of seeing me. So I told Glynn to tell Dean Solon that I have an emergency and that I need to go home right away. She was even asking what's wrong, but I told her that it's something personal.

I was so disoriented when I got home. Why is he visiting me at work? And why at the dean's office? What if it's work related? But duh whatever it is, I don't want to deal with him right now. I kept on switching channels. There seemed to be no good shows that can keep my mind away from Allen.

Two hours later, someone is knocking on my door. Perhaps it's Joel but I thought he's out of town. He mentioned last time that he's going to visit his family in Manila.

When I opened the door, I was so shocked to see Allen. I hurriedly closed it, but he was quick. He stopped the door with his foot. He pleaded. I don't have plans of letting him in, but he was very persistent. Well, I guess it's about time to face him. So, I opened the door wider and let him in. He handed me a bouquet of white roses.

My heartbeat skyrocketed as if I'm running a marathon. I'm a tad nervous having him around, but I masked how I feel by showing him hostility. He looked so uncomfortable. Is he nervous too?

"You've already apologized, what else do you want?" I said icily. Trying to dismiss him.

"I'm actually here to talk about us."

Wait what?! Did I hear him right? What about us? The butterflies in my stomach were rejoicing. What does he mean by us?

"Us? There is no US!"

"There will be... If you will give me a chance."

"Allen, what we have has long been over. It's been five years."

I blinked back the tears that were about to fall. Remembering our past still leaves a pang of pain in my heart.  I loved him. And when he dumped me, I was broken beyond repair. Instead of confronting him, I choose to run away. I avoided him at all cost. I even transferred to another TLE teacher on the last quarter in fourth year. Seeing him around was just too much to bear.

"Yeah, I know. But we were too young back then. We've made impulsive decisions. I admit, I was such an asshole for hurting you."

"Yes, you were! But I was also a coward for not listening to your pleas."

"I understand... You were hurt. But I did it for you."

"W-what do you mean?"

"Your father asked me to dump you."

"Whaattt?!"

"Yes, that's the truth. He said, I will just ruin your future. And if I won't give you up, he will ruin mine as well. I was just a teenager back then and I was torn."

His revelation hit me like a hurricane. Is this for real? But why would my father do such thing? He had seen how devastated I was and he never said anything.

"B-but why didn't you tell me?"

"Because if I would, you won't agree with it."

"But why do you have to make it appear that you have someone new?"

"It's the easiest way for you to hate me."

"But I vividly remember that during sinulog you went after me, when I saw you with that girl. What was that about huh? Then after that, you kept on stalking me."

"Because I've realized that I can't just let you go. But it was too late. You distanced yourself from me."

Wow! I've cried so many tears for nothing? I was hurting over an act? How could my father do this to me? I've wasted years enduring the pain of losing my first love only to find out that it wasn't his own doing. If only, I wasn't a coward who kept on running away when he tried to reach out, we would still be together by now.

Tears that I kept at bay rolled like waterfalls. Allen kneeled in front of me, wiping my tears with his hand.

"Sshhh... It's okay. I'm sorry, it took me so long to tell you. When you rejected me, I got tired and just stopped pursuing you. But there was never a time when I've ever stopped loving you."

There was tenderness in his eyes and the way he caressed my face made me believed in his sincerity. But why didn't he find me sooner?

"I'm sorry, if I didn't look for you right away. I thought I will outgrow the feeling. But when I realized that it's impossible to do so, I could no longer find you. And besides, I wanted to show to your father that when I pursue you again, I am accomplished and successful."

I looked at him at a loss of words. My heart is skipping in happiness but my tears just won't stop.

"So stop crying. I'm finally here. And I'll make it up to you." He engulfed me in a tight embrace but I pushed him away.

"W-wait... It's been too long. I don't think we can go back to the way we were."

There was a flash of pain in his eyes which he schooled right away. He caressed my face and smiled.

"I understand. I won't force you to welcome me right away into your life. I'm willing to wait, sweetie."

"You just don't get it. I mean, a lot of things have changed between us..."

"I know... Except for my feelings for you." He stared at me with longing and tenderness in his eyes.