Stage Fourteen

Beta Rebellion (97th floor. July 2027)

It's been a few years since the new guild was created. We were taking over dungeon after dungeon. I had evolved to a level 87 and Ana was a level 90. We were making our way in this game. Me and Ana have been spending half of our time being together and also in the front lines. Sooner or later beta testers were a smash hit. Everyone loved us. And our guild was still expanding. We were close to having almost everyone in SAO on our side. Almost. People were also going to the Lion Hearts so we were bound to have some competition. Everyone pitched in and we developed a hideout for our guild. It was really big. Big enough for everyone to live in.
I was sitting on the roof then Nick came from behind. "Josh. We have great news." Nick said. "What is it?" I asked. "We have advanced to the 98th floor and out men will move in tonight to take the 99th floor. Not many casualties as the last mission. Only ten this time." Nick said. "Let's drop that number down to zero ok?" I said. "Sure. I'll give more reports soon." Nick said. He walked away and Ana came and joined me. "Hey Josh." Ana said. "Hey Ana." I said. "This was a great idea. Joining all the players together and fighting as one. It really is the best idea I've ever heard." Ana said. "Yeah....but after this is all over....then what?" I asked.
"Well then we're free of this curse. But you don't wanna leave do you?" Ana asked. "It's not that I don't wanna leave....it's just that this life has more to offer and I can spend my moments with the people that actually care about me. My true friends. You." I said. "I don't wanna leave this place but all good things must come to an end. But why do we have to end?" Ana asked. I looked at her. "Josh. You make me feel like I belong again. Even if we log out of this game...I still wanna see you in real life." Ana said.
"How about we spend as much time together as possible in our last few days together." I said. I pulled Ana in for a soft kiss. Out of the corner of my eye something bright light came towards our hideout. I broke off the kiss and when I turned to look it was too late. It was a giant fireball. I crashed under me and Ana and she fell through the house. "Ana!!" I shouted. More fireballs came and hit the house. I grabbed my blade and ran downstairs. "Nick!! Get everyone out of here now!!" I shouted. Nick nodded and got everyone out of the wreckage.
I kept searching for Ana until I saw the final boss. The leader of The Lion Hearts. "You....I'll kill you for this!" I shouted. "But not before I take something precious away from you." He said. He held up Ana by her hair. She was still at full health. "Don't you dare hurt her." I said through clenched teeth. "Watch me." He said. I tried to leap for him but one of his soldiers came from behind and grabbed me. He stuck a needle in my arm, paralyzing me. He proped me up against a wall.
"It'll wear off when we leave. Now you suffer." He said. A dagger went through Ana's chest. Her eyes widened. Her health bar drained.....straight to zero. She fell to the ground. And all I could do was watch. "Ana....?" I said. The men transported away and I quickly grabbed her and ran out of the entrance. Once I got to a safe place then I pulled out a health potion but before I could use it Ana was starting to fade away. It was too late. "Josh....thank you....for being the best guy I know....and for helping me escape this world....." Ana said between breaths.
"Ana please....you can't leave me. I still have a promise..."
"It's ok Josh....promise me this....beat this game." Ana said. "I promise." I said. I kissed her one last time as she dissapeared. A tear fell from her face and hit the ground as she faded away. Nick and the other beta players came to see the wreckage. And me grieving over the loss of the love of my life. The tear that fell turned into a necklace. It was labeled "Heart of Ana."
"What now?" Nick asked. I stood up and put the necklace around my neck. "We fight. We win. We're going to beat the 100th boss and end this game. For Ana!" I shouted. Everyone chanted. I picked up Ana's blade and equipped the dual wielding setting. "I'll make sure that this blade will be covered in your blood. For Ana." I said.