Chapter 10

ADAM

I am packing the items on the shelfs. It is my second shift for the holiday. I don't mind working while everyone else has fun. The money is worth more than having free time. Alison wants me to meet Jake, but I will have to wait until the weekend. "Excuse me. Where can I find the frozen foods?" a man asks me. He looks young and can't be much older than I am. "Follow me," I say. I walk towards the frozen food section with him. "Do you have a girlfriend?" he asks. "Yes, and you?" I ask. "No. What is she like?" he asks. I find it strange that a stranger wants to know about my personal life. "She is kind, caring and beautiful. I am a lucky guy to have her," I reply. "That is what I wanted to hear. My sister was right about you," he says. I stop immediately. I turn around and look at him. Could it be Jake? "Are you Jake?" I ask. "Yes. She went to the mall with Mom and I thought it might be a good time to do some stalking. She mentioned that you work here. I just asked for you and they sent me in your direction," he says. My cheeks start to glow. "You can relax. You are perfect for my sister, but just know that I will not go easy on you if you break her heart," he says trying to look serious. "It is nice to meet you. Alison mentioned you a lot. She really looks up to you," I say. He smiles and flashes his white teeth. "It's nice to meet you too. There is something I want to discuss with you, but you can't tell Alison," he says. "It depends what it is," I say. We move out of the way of a mother with a toddler. "Alison doesn't seem like herself. She looks thinner than the last time I saw her and she looks quite tired. I want you to keep an eye on her after I leave. If she seems sick to you I want you to call me," he says and hands me a paper with his number on it. I put the paper in my pocket. "I will. What do you think is wrong?" I ask. He sighs. "I don't know. It could just be my imagination, but I just want to make sure that she is okay. Make sure that she doesn't know I talked to you. When I asked her about it she got angry. She told me I was being silly," he says. "I'll keep you up to date," I say. I look at my watch. "I have to get back to work, but I will come over this weekend for a visit," I say. "Thank you for listening. I will see you then," he says and walks out of the door. I take a deep breath. What if he is right? What if Alison is ill and hiding it? I try to get rid of my thoughts. I have to think positive. Alison will tell me if she is not feeling well.

The first day back at school is always the worst. We are all assembled in the school hall listening to the principal's speech about working hard and not doing stupid things. By the time you're a senior you heard it too many times. Alison is sitting next to me. The weekend was fun. I went over for the visit the morning. Luckily I got off from work. I didn't leave before midnight. We talked a lot and played board games. Derek won most of the time, but it was still fun. That night we had pasta and roasted marshmallows on an open fire. We drank hot chocolate and watched a movie or two. Their parents had a date night and we were on our own. "As you know it is almost time for prom. You have only two months left for all your arrangements. Prom will be held on 12 May. You can buy tickets from Mrs Clarkson," the principal says. I completely forgot about prom. I have to ask Alison in a very special way. The last couple of months has been tough, but she was there for everything. That is why I love her so much. She is there even in the difficult times. If I pull some strings I can make it perfect for her. My mind is buzzing with ideas. I think I might have the perfect one. "You are dismissed," he says and everyone goes in their own directions. Michael stops in front of Alison and I. "If Adam haven't asked you yet you can come with me. Now that David is in the slammer he won't mind if I ask his greatest enemy. What do you say?" he asks. "Adam is my boyfriend and you are a bully. Thank you for the offer, but I will be fine," she says. "I get it. Adam must give you everything your heart desires, but there is much more on this side," he says. My blood is boiling. "Back off Michael. She isn't interested," I say and grab Alison's hand. I give it a tug to let her know that we have to go. We push past him towards the classrooms. "He beats up my brother and now he wants me to go to prom with him," Alison says. I have to ask her soon. We will obviously go together, but I want her to know that I value her.