Chapter 15

ALISON

I stare at the words in front of me. I can't make any sense out of it. I studied for the test, but all of a sudden my knowledge is gone. I am going to do terrible on this one. I look at Adam at the other side of the room. He is writing like crazy. I try to do a few multichoice questions without any luck. I have to get out of here now! I feel like I am going to be sick. The chemo is making me nauseous the whole time lately. I raise my hand to let the teacher know that I need to talk to her. "Yes Alison?" she asks when she gets next to my desk. "Can I please be excused. I have to go to the restroom," I softly say. "Fine, but hurry. You're not getting extra time," she says. I get up and quickly walk towards the bathroom. I barely reach the bathroom when I throw up. I wash my mouth out with tap water. I pull my hand through my hair. I can feel my hair falling out. I look at my hand and see the hair on my fingers. My hair! I burst into tears and sit down against the wall. The doctor said there could be thinning, but I didn't expect this. I can't take this anymore. I feel lifeless and tired. I am sick the whole time and my hair is falling out. I want everything to end. I sit with my head on my knees with tears pouring out of my red eyes. "Alison. Are you okay?" Mrs Lewis asks. I look up into her eyes. She is kneeling in front of me. "No!" I say. She pulls me into a hug. "Tell me what's wrong," she says. "My hair..." I start saying, but stop when my sobs take over. "It's okay. You can't see anything. Are you feeling ill? You look pale," she asks. "Nauseous," I say. "Go lay down in the Nurse's room for a while. I will talk to your teacher to let her know where you are. You are with me next. I will excuse you. Just lay down and try to sleep. I will come check on you," she says. Her comforting words make me feel a bit better. I wipe the tears from my face with the back of my hand. "Thank you," I say and stand up. She puts her hand on my back and walks to the nurse's office with me. "If you need anything ask the nurse to call me. I will even take you home if you feel worse," she says and hugs me before she leaves. I lay down on the bed. The nurse approaches me. "What is wrong dear?" she asks. "I am nauseous and tired. I can't even focus," I explain. "You should have that checked out. It could be something serious," she says. Little she knows how serious it is. "I am getting chemo. It is just the side effects. She immediately looks guilty for saying that. "I am sorry. I will be in my office next door if you need anything," she says and leaves. I am so worried as well. I have to go see the doctor tomorrow to see if the treatment is working. If it isn't working there will be nothing more to do to save me.

ADAM

Alison has been gone for twenty minutes now. The test is almost over and she barely wrote anything. The bell rings to inform us that the period is over. I hand in my test and pack up my stuff. I pack up Alison's as well. We are both at History next. I walk towards the classroom hoping that Alison is waiting there. When I get there, she isn't there. "Adam. Can I speak to you?" Mrs Lewis asks. I go to her table. "Alison is in the nurse's office. She was feeling ill and I told her to try to sleep. If you want to be with her instead I will let you go. Come to me afterwards to get the notes and work. If you don't understand I will explain it to you in lunch tomorrow," she says. "Thank you," I say and leave the classroom with both our bags. I quickly walk towards the nurse's office. I see her tiny body lying on the bed. She is asleep. I see the dark circles under her eyes and the beautiful smile I barely see nowadays is hidden under her closed mouth. I sit down on the chair next to the bed and put the bags down next to the chair. I gently take her hand and her eyes open. "It's okay. It's just me. You can try to sleep again," I say. She closes her eyes and is asleep a minute later. The nurse enters the room. She just smiles at me and walks out again. I look at her cute nose and her beauty mark which she hates. I look at the golden locks which is neatly tucked behind her ears. She looks so peaceful, but at the same time she looks so weak. I hope the treatment is working. If it isn't, she went through this for nothing. Mrs Lewisappears in the door. "How is she doing?" she softly asks. "I don't know. She was asleep when I got here and fell asleep after I came. She doesn't look good," I reply. "Do you think she should go home?" she asks. "No, she has been like this for a while now. She just needs to rest," I say. "I brought you this. It is the work we're doing today. It is straight forward. I gave you two copies. One for Alison and one for you. I talked to your Science teacher. She will let Alison retake the test. Please tell her when she wakes up," she says. "I will, thank you," I say. She smiles and goes back to her classroom. Alison is struggling with school while she is getting the treatment. Luckily yesterday was her last one. Tomorrow the doctor will decide if she has to get more chemo. Alison wakes up. "Are you feeling better yet?" I ask. "Yes. I think I can go back to class now," she says. "Let's wait for the bell before we go," I say. "Okay," she says and sits up straight. "You don't have to worry about the test. You can retake it," I say to her. "Thank you," she says. "I am worried about tomorrow. What will I do if the treatment isn't working?" she asks. "Then we try something else. The doctors know what they're doing," I say. "I hope you're right," she says. I sit on the bed next to her. I put my arm around her shoulders. She rests her head on my shoulder.