Chapter 6

ADAM

"You have to wake up. Your girlfriend is breaking seeing you like this. It's been 3 days," a woman says. She must be one of the nurses treating me. It is not the first time I heard her talking. Everyone says I should wake up, but I can't. "It is time for her visit," the nurse continues. I hear her footsteps as she walks out of the room. The soft sound of Alison's pumps sounds up. She is here! Her hand takes mine. I love the heat streaming out of her hands. It makes it feel like always. "Adam, it's me again. The police think that they found evidence that could connect David with the crime scene. His alibi doesn't check out and his car was seen a block from the park just before the attack. If it is true we won't have to worry about him anymore. Maybe then you'll wake up," she says. I want to wake up!

ALISON

It is almost the end of the week and Adam is still in a coma. The doctor said that I shouldn't rush it, but I need him. Officer Harris called me earlier and told me what they found out. He just thought that I would want to know. I stand up and walk over to the window. Adam's room has a view of the city. I can see the park from here. Shivers run down my spine as the haunting images of the awful night Adam got stabbed appears in my head. Luckily David hasn't done anything to me yet, but my parents did. My mother was waiting me in when I came home from school. She said that she will distance herself from me if I don't stop seeing Adam. It is not like she ever spends time with me. I don't think the punishment is that bad. A terrible coughing sound emerges from Adam's bed. He can't breathe! I run over to the bed. His eyes are open and he is tugging at the pipe in his mouth. A nurse storms into the room and quickly removes the tube. "Welcome back," she says before she leaves to call the doctor. I am overwhelmed at the thought of him being back. He grabs my hand and pulls me closer. "I love you," he says with a croaky voice. "I love you too," I say and kiss him on the cheek. Adam is awake!

After the doctor came I called Mr Davis. He had to go to work, but told me to call him if anything changed. He is on his way to the hospital now. I feel much better now that Adam is awake. Seeing his brown eyes again made my week. Mr Davis bursts through the door. He looks relieved. He grabs me and gives me a long hug. "How does he look? Did it look like he was in any pain?" he asks. "He is on painkillers so it is hard to tell. He looked okay when I saw him," I reply. The doctor exits the door to the room Adam is in. He sees Mr Davis and comes towards us. "Your son will make a quick recovery. We will keep him in the ICU overnight, but we'll move him to a normal ward tomorrow," the doctor says. Mr Davis pulls him in for a hug. "Thank you for everything you did for my son. You don't know how much this means to me," he says. "You can see him now, both of you," the doctor says. "I'll give you guys some alone time. I'm going to get a coffee," I say and walk down the hallway. The happiness and relief is still flowing through my body. I buy the coffee from the café and sit down at one of the tables slowly drinking it. Nothing can ruin my good mood.

DAVID

I can't believe that bitch ratted on me. She will pay for this, but I will let her wait. The longer she waits the more she will worry about what is coming. The police say my alibi doesn't check out. It won't be long until they come knocking on my door. I hate Michael. He didn't cover my back with the alibi. I told the police that I was at Michael's place that night, but then he decided to tell them that I wasn't. He was too scared that he will get in trouble if they find out that he lied. In reality I parked the car in the driveway of the Lewis family's house. They are away for a while and I thought that they would never find out that I parked there. Too bad their nosey neighbour ratted me out. I light up a cigarette. All this stress is not good for me. What will I do if I go to jail? I will just have to make sure that doesn't happen. I hate this town! I hate these people!