Chapter 2

ALISON

Dear Diary

The first day at my new school was much better than I expected. Derek enjoyed his day as well. I have to admit that there is a reason for my good day. It is a guy. His name is Adam Davis. He is a very handsome senior. He has brown hair and the most beautiful hazel eyes I have ever seen. He seems like a sensitive guy with brilliant moral values. He is the type of guy I thought didn't exist anymore. Diary, I think I am in love.

I also had the 'honour' of meeting David Owens. He is a pig who thinks that every girl should just fall into his lap. I am not that type of person and I think he knows that after my hand made contact with his face. I don't think I'll ever forget his shocked reaction. In English he called me a bitch, but that is our secret. I don't think Adam should know that. He has enough problems with David as it is.

My parents are at one of their functions which means that my brother and I are alone again. It is not something new to us, but I just want them to realise that we need them here too.

"What are you doing?" Derek says to me. I close my diary and turn towards him. "Nothing in particular," I reply. "I need help with my homework. You know how terrible I am in Maths. Will you please help me?" he asks politely. I get up from my bed. "Of course I will!" I say and walk to his room with him. "Do you like Adam?" he asks me. Now I have to think carefully before I answer his question. "He is just a friend," I say. Derek looks at me with his I-know-you-are-lying look. "Why did you call him this afternoon? You saw each other an hour before that," he says. "I just wanted to thank him for the ride home. Just having manners doesn't mean I like him," I reply. We enter his messy bedroom. His clothes are covering the floor and his closets are wide open. There is barely place for me to sit down. "How is it possible that your room can look like this is less than a week?" I ask him. "Don't change the subject. You thanked him at the car, and therefore you didn't have to thank him over the phone. You just wanted to hear his voice. Admit it!" he says. I have to stop myself from blushing as I think of his handsome deep voice and his dimples when he laughs. "It is my business. Now do you want me to help you or not?" I ask. I really hopehe drops the subject now. "Fine," he says and opens his Maths book. The work is easy and I quickly help him. "Algebra is not that hard. You just have to know what to do and when to do it," I say as he puts his book back in his bag. I notice the bruise on his arm as his sleeve crawls his arm. "What happened to your arm?" I ask him. He quickly pulls the sleeve down. "I walked into one of the lockers. It's nothing," he says. If it is nothing, then why did he pull his sleeve down trying to hide it. "You know that you can tell me the truth. I know you are not that clumsy and I also know that a locker is not shaped like fingers. Who did this to you and why?" I ask caring. Derek looks down at the ground. "It was a senior. He was mad at me when I stood in front of his locker during lunch waiting for Kyle to get his books. He grabbed my arm and pulled me out of the way," he explains. "What is his name?" I ask. I look Derek in his eyes. "David Owens. I don't think you know him. He says he hates new kids and especially new freshmen. I was so scared. He is very strong and intimidating. He also said that it is not over and that I should watch my back," Derek says. He looks terrified. "I know him. If he ever bothers you again tell me. I will not allow him to hurt you," I say. "What can you do? He is a strong football player and you are a girl," Derek says. He doesn't have to know that I slapped David. "You'll be surprised. I'll order pizza while you finish your homework," I say and leave his bedroom. The more I get to know about David, the less I like him. He is a pig who doesn't have any right to hurt others. When I get downstairs I pick up my phone to order the food. I immediately notice the message on my phone. I open the message and see that it is from my parents. They just wanted us to know that they are going to be very late and that we shouldn't wait up. This is old news to me. I order the pizza and slip my phone into my pocket. I make my way upstairs to my bedroom. I wonder what Adam is doing now. I asked about his parents earlier, but he just changed the subject. I didn't ask him about that again. He clearly doesn't want to talk about it. I lay down on my purple duvet and stare at the ceiling. He is the perfect guy. He is helpful, friendly, sincere and many more wonderful things. I close my eyes and picture every detail of his body and face. Somehow it feels like his eyes are hiding something. I can see the sadness and fear in them. I turn on the radio and sing along to the songs as I wait for the pizza to be delivered.