4: If You Could See Me Now

EDITED.

CHAPTER 4: If You Could See Me Now

"Do you think he'll call?" Swara, my best friend asked me.

It's been nine days.

"If he doesn't, I will. I'm tired of waiting," I said.

"Then call him now!" She added. "Get over with it!"

I dialled his number with shaky hands and listened to the dial tone, my heart hammering against my ribs.

"Hello?" I heard him say. For some reason I couldn't find my voice.

"Hello Avni? Hello? Can you hear me?"

"Hm," Was all I could say.

"Hey baby. I am so sorry Avni. I know I can give no excuses. I'm just so sorry,"

"Hm,"

"Please baby, forgive me! I love you so much. Please don't be upset, Av. Listen, I'll do whatever you want me to do, just please forgive me."

"Hm." I said once again, a tear running down my cheek.

"Avni, you think you could meet me today, at Cubbon Park? Please, I promise you I won't be late. Just one more chance?" He said with sincerity.

"Okay." I said and hung up.

"Am I stupid to be upset Swaru?" I asked her.

"No you definitely aren't Avni! What he did was a mistake." Swara replied. "What are you going to do, though?"

"I don't know. I'll think about it when we meet."

You have one new message

From: Aarav

Cubbon Park at 1 pm. Can you make it?

I quickly typed an "okay" and turned my phone off.

I had a long hot shower and slowly got ready for the meeting. I honestly had no heart in meeting Aarav.

I took the trouble to deliberately be late and reached at 1:15.

As I walked through the gate, I saw an Aarav-like guy holding the largest bouquet of red roses, covering his face. As I approached him, he peeked from the side and when he saw me, he gave me the widest smile ever.

I didn't return the smile, no matter how much I wanted to.

"Hi gorgeous." He said kissing my forehead.

"Hi." I mumbled.

"These are for you." He said, handing me the bouquet.

"Thanks. They're gorgeous."

"Can we sit somewhere and talk?"

Once we found a cozy bench, we settled and he began.

"Look Avni, I know what I did was horrible. I keep thinking about it and I myself am really disgusted. But you have to believe me when I say that I am really sorry. I will never do something like this deliberately. You know that."

"You made me feel like a fool." I said very quietly, folding my arms.

"I know, doll. I am so sorry. I really feel like a fool. I never wanted to hurt you."

"Looks like you have a brand new habit? I'm so proud of you." I said, each word dripping in sarcasm.

"About that, I would be lying if I told you that I never drink. I do. But only once in a while." He was being really honest today.