Chapter 3

As soon as the bell rang Friday afternoon, Katie kissed Ben and told him she would talk to him later that weekend. She was in a rush to get home. For once actually looking forward to going home. Her dad was arriving sometime this evening and she wanted to make sure everything was perfect for him. The housekeeper who came once a week had come yesterday and did a thorough cleaning and straightening up. Katie knew there wasn't really anything for her to worry about but she never could remember if she had left any dishes in the sink or clothes laying around each morning. Being on her own most of the time she didn't really worry or think about it. But her daddy was coming home and she wanted everything to look nice.

Pulling in to the garage, Katie parked and rushed inside. She quickly ran around, grabbing up the few things she had left scattered around last night and this morning. It only took a couple minutes. With time to kill, Katie rushed upstairs to shower and freshen up. Knowing Dad he would probably want to go out to some nice restaurant as soon as he got home. Katie didn't care what they did, as along as they spent time together. Yes, it was a rare thing in her world.

Stepping out of the hot shower, Katie ran a comb through her hair, trying to get all the tangles out. Once that was accomplished, she sorted through her wardrobe, finding the perfect outfit that would work, no matter where they went tonight. She slid the dress on, turning in the mirror to inspect herself. 'Not bad if I do say so myself.' Katie giggled at her silliness. She was definitely feeling excited and happy. She ran a brush through her still damp hair and pulled it up into a simple knot at the base of her neck. A little bit of lipgloss and she was ready.

Half an hour later Katie heard her phone. Glancing down she noticed a text from her dad.

'5 min out. Be ready. Have reservations at Chino's for 8.' - Dad

Katie jumped up, grabbed her handbag and keys and headed out the front door. As soon as her Dad's car pulled up she hopped into the passenger seat.

"Hey Dad," she leaned over and gave him a kiss on the cheek. He returned the kiss. "Hey sweetheart, you look nice. Special occasion?"

"Yeah....there's this guy. He's really good looking, smart, rich....a real catch from what I've heard. He's taking me out on the town tonight." Katie winked.

"My, my....he does sound like a winner. Maybe I should meet him?" He responded playfully while maneuvering his way thru traffic.

Laughing, Katie playfully slapped him on the arm. "Funny, Dad. I've missed you! How's work?"

"Busy as always, hon. But let's not talk about work tonight. It's been awhile since I've been home. Let's just enjoy tonight and we can talk business tomorrow, shall we?" He glanced at her from the corner of his eyes and smiled.

"Sure Dad, of course!" Katie replied. She gave him a huge smile, happy that he didn't want to talk about work. But in the back of her mind she was a little confused. Usually work was the only thing he was interested in talking about. Sometimes she wasn't even sure if her dad knew how to have a conversation without it involving his work. But no matter, she wasn't going to second guess it. She was just going to enjoy this rare occasion with her dad.

Hours later they were back home. "That was an amazing dinner! I am so stuffed I don't think I will ever eat again!!" Katie moaned, laying on the couch.

Her dad laughed. "You, Katie, are hilarious. You'll be begging for ice cream in only a matter of hours."

"Nooo! Dad, you're going to make me sick! Do. Not. Mention. Food. Ever. Again. Please!!!!" Katie groaned.

Her dad just chuckled and headed over to her. Motioning her to scoot over, Katie slowly sat up so he could sit beside her. Placing his arm around her shoulder he ruffled her hair. "You always could make me laugh, Princess."

Katie gulped, her eyes watering a little. He hadn't called her Princess in years. She wrapped her arms around his waist. "I've missed you, Daddy."

He closed his eyes and sighed. "I know, baby. I know. Maybe someday things will slow down and I can retire. Then we can spend all the time together that we want."

Katie pulled back slightly to look up into his eyes. "You? Retire? As if!!" She scoffed.

"What!? It could happen!" He replied.

"Yeah, when pigs fly!" Katie squealed when she felt him tickling her. "Ok! Ok! I take it back!"

Her dad laughed while she tried to catch her breath. "So, wanna watch a movie, like old times?"

"Definitely!" Katie jumped up to put in their favorite movie they used to watch together when she was a kid, before everything had changed.

Sighing contentedly, Katie settled onto the couch next to her dad, enjoying the smell and feel of having her daddy home. She felt safe and completely happy, for the first time in a long time.