Chapter 10

Katie was anxiously pacing back and forth in her living room later that afternoon as she waited for Shawn to arrive. Biting her fingernails, she glanced back at the clock. Any minute now Shawn would arrive. Groaning in frustration, Katie plopped down onto the couch. She so did not want to be having this discussion with him today, but unfortunately, thanks to her daddy, it was inevitable.

Suddenly the door bell rang. Letting out a sigh if relief, Katie hopped up and walked quickly to the door. Taking a deep breath she opened it to find Shawn standing on the front porch, hands in his pockets. He glanced up at her as she opened the door.

"Hey."

"Hey, come on in." Katie held the door open and steeped aside. Shawn walked past her and silently waited while she closed the door behind them.

Clearing her throat nervously, Katie wiped her sweaty palms on her jeans and led him into the living room. Shawn followed behind her, glancing around as he did.

He whistled, "Nice place."

Katie rolled her eyes, "I guess." She sat down on the couch and watched as he slowly walked around the room, taking it all in.

Shawn paused to look back at her. He raised his eyebrows incredulously. "You guess!?" He slowly shook his head, "Maybe Logan was right, you really are spoilt."

Katie bristled at the comment. "I'd appreciate it if you'd leave Logan out of this conversation." She folded her arms in front of her. She narrowed his eyes at him and muttered, "And for the record, I am NOT spoilt."

Shawn chuckled, "Relax, I'm just teasing you." He walked over and sat down next to her on the couch. "So, I guess we should talk about your dad's Will."

"Don't you mean 'our' dad?"

He rubbed a hand over the back of his neck. "It's kinda hard to think of someone as my dad when I never even met him." Shawn glanced away, "The first time I ever laid eyes on him was in a video I had to watch, while sitting in a lawyer's office. Kinda messed up, if you ask me."

"Yeah," Katie whispered, "Everything about all of this is messed up."

Shawn nodded, "And I know you're not gonna like what I have to say, but in regards to all the stipulations in your father's Will,"

Katie held her breath, waiting for him to continue.

"I'm going to accept the terms of the Will," he held up his hand before she could interrupt. "And before you say anything, it's not all about the money for me. And trust me, I don't want to live here and be your guardian anymore than you want that but I feel like that's what I should do. What I need to do."

Katie scoffed, "Yeah, right. What other reason would you have to move in here and be my guardian if it's not for the money and for the fact that you get to live in a big, fancy house? Besides," she said, raising her voice, "I don't need a guardian. I've managed just fine on my own for the last several years while my dad was off on his business travels for weeks, even months at a time. He sure didn't seem too concerned about me being in this house all alone back then. Why should now be any different?" She asked bitterly.

She could see sympathy in Shawn's eyes as he looked at her. Hating that look being directed at her, she looked away.

Shawn placed a hand over hers. "I can't answer that for you, Katie, but I have my own reasons for doing this. I know you don't believe me and that's ok." He shrugged. "Whether you like it or not, I will be moving in here next weekend. As stipulated by your father, I will stay here, in this house, taking on the role of your legal guardian until we graduate. After that time, I will take my inheritance I earned and I will be out of your hair. You will never have to see me again, if that's what you want."

Katie sighed in defeat. "Fine. But don't expect me to be happy about this."

Shawn rose to his feet. "I don't. Like I said, I'm not exactly happy about it either but the rewards out way the inconveniences. And believe me, for now this will cause more problems than it will solve. It's the big picture I'm focusing on. I don't get anything out of this right now except a nicer place to live and expenses paid. After graduation, I'll be able to take college courses that up until now I didn't think was going to be possible."

Katie stood up and put her hands on her hips. "So far I'm only hearing positive things for you from this situation. What problems could this possibly cause for you??" she asked.

Shawn just looked at her and quietly said, "The problems won't be mine. Only Logan's."

The worried look in his eyes made her curious. But she just said, "Whatever you say. I still think you're the only winner in all of this." Stalking off to the from door, she held it wide open.

Shawn shook his head and headed to the door. As he passed her he said quietly, "Seven months. Then this will all be over."

Katie pretended to ignore him as he walked out the door. As soon as he stepped off the porch she slammed the front door, causing the glass to rattle.

Shawn muttered, "And it's going to be a very long seven months." Walking quickly to his truck, he drove off as quickly as he could, knowing he needed to now have a talk with Logan. A talk he was dreading.