Chapter 29

Katie sat on her couch as the boys hauled the rest of Logan's belongings and anything else they deemed salvageable and valuable enough to carry over from their old house. None of them had talked much since David had been hauled off by the police. As soon as he had left they had immediately started packing up Logan's things and loading them up in Shawn's truck, anxious to get as far away from that house as possible.

Shawn came back down the stairs after dropping off the last of Logan's things in his new room. "I think that's everything." He plopped down on the armchair.

"Thanks Shawn," Logan came in from the kitchen where he had been getting them some soda. He handed one over to Shawn and then sat down next to Katie. "and thank you too Katie. I really appreciate you letting me move in."

Katie gave him a small smile and then looked away. Pulling her knees up, she wrapped her arms around them and rested her chin on her knees. "You're welcome. Our home is your home." She closed her eyes. "Did all that really just happen a few hours ago? I feel like I'm living in a really bad nightmare and can't wake up, no matter how hard I try." She squeezed her eyes tight, struggling to shut out David's voice in her head.

"You're not alone." Shawn said matter of factly. He frowned down at the soda in his hand. "I knew David had problems but I never would've thought he'd go so far as to try to kill anyone."

Logan remained quiet and Katie and Shawn both glanced over at him. He avoided eye contact with them, clenching his jaw to hold back his emotions. "I'm sorry."

"What are you sorry for? David has put you through enough crap over the years, don't you dare feel responsible for what happened today!" Shawn said forcefully.

"If you hadn't been worried about me, you wouldn't have come looking for me. David would have left again in a few days and that would have been the end of it. He was pissed that you had left to inherit George's fortune. To see you again, and with Katie, that just really set him off again. To a whole new level." Logan shook his head, "But I never would've thought he'd pull out a gun either. Guess I didn't realize just how far off the edge he had gone over the years."

"Then we should be the ones apologizing, Logan, for showing up the way we did." Katie said. "But I refuse to. If we hadn't shown up, he would've continued to hurt you." Tears shone in her eyes as she spoke, "I can't believe you've been living with that all these years and I never even noticed. I am so, so sorry Logan. For that, I am sorry. But I will not regret showing up today. No matter what happened while we were there, the end results were worth it. David is behind bars tonight, hopefully permanently, and you are safe. That's all that matters."

She stared at Logan and he stared right back at her.

"She's right, Logan." Shawn agreed. "We all just need to move on and try to put all this behind us. David is finally out of our lives."

Logan looked over at him and slowly nodded. "I know, it's just a lot to process right now."

"I think it's going to take us all awhile to process everything." Katie said softly. "I'm just glad we're all ok, and together." She smiled at both boys. "Never would've thought I'd say something like that about the two of you."

Shawn chuckled, "Right back at you, sis." He softly punched her on the arm.

"Ow! What was that for?" Katie rubbed her arm and frowned at Shawn.

"Oh, come on! Like that really hurt! Don't be such a girl, Katie."

Katie narrowed her eyes at him, "I am a girl, Shawn. In a case you hadn't noticed."

"Oh, I haven't, but I'm pretty sure Logan has." Shawn batted his eyelashes playfully at them.

"Hey!" Logan and Katie yelled simultaneously.