Chapter 19

Katie sat in the nurses office, perched on the edge of the examination table while Nurse May looked her over. She flinched when Nurse May's fingers lightly touched the bruises that were starting to develope.

"That hurt?"

Katie shrugged her shoulders. "It's a little sore." She croaked. It was hard to talk, let alone swallow.

Nurse May looked up into Katie's eyes, concern shining in hers. "Want to tell me about the older bruises here?"

Katie lowered her eyes and looked away. "They're from Sunday night. He was angry, again. But, not like today." She shuddered.

Nurse May cleared her throat and stood up. "Well, I would feel better if you would go to the hospital. Let a doctor examine you, make sure there's no lasting damage done."

"No!" She said adamantly. "I'm fine. I just want to go home and rest." She looked up at Nurse May and pleaded with her eyes. "I don't want to make a big deal of this."

"Katie," Nurse May sat down beside her on the table and put a hand on her arm. "This is serious. Someone put their hands on you and cause you harmed. You should at least press charges, if nothing else."

Katie shook her head, "No, I just want it to go away. Pressing charges would just make him more upset. It wouldn't even do any good. His parents have too much money and too much influence. They would just buy his way out of trouble and then he'd have even more of a reason to come after me. Please, just let it go, Nurse May."

Looking into Katie's pleading eyes, Nurse May sighed. "I can't force you to do what you don't want to do, Katie, but I certainly don't approve nor agree with your decision."

With a sigh of relief, Katie said, "Thankyou!" She turned her head when she heard a tap on the door. Ashley's head poked through and she caught Katie's eye. "Ready to go?"

Katie glanced back over at Nurse May who reluctantly nodded. She quickly hopped off the table and joined Ashley at the door. "You have no idea."

Neither girl said much as they made their way down the hall. When they finally reached Katie's locker, Ashley spoke up. "Are you ok?"

With a small shrug, Katie replied, "I think I'm still in shock. I can't believe that really just happened."

"I'm just glad we made it in time. As soon as you left with Ben, I told the guys I didn't feel good about you going off alone with him. They immediately insisted we go look for you, no questions asked." Ashley glanced over at Katie. "I was so scared when we finally found you! And I've never seen anyone look so angry before..."

"I know, I've seen Ben mad before but he hit a whole new level today." Katie shuddered, remembering the look in Ben's eyes after she bit him.

"I wasn't talking about Ben, I was talking about Logan!"

Katie frowned and looked at Ashley. "Logan?"

"Yeah, when we busted into the room and saw Ben with his hands around your throat, I honestly thought Logan was going to kill him!" Ashley frowned at the memory. "I don't think I would've tried to stop him either."

She gave Katie a small smile and then noticed Shawn and Logan walking towards them. "Hey,"

Shawn was frowning as they approached. "Katie, are you ok? What did the nurse say?"

Ashley responded before Katie could open her mouth. "Nurse May wanted her to go to the hospital to get checked out but she refused."

"Because I'm fine. Massive headache coming on but nothing some Tylenol won't take cafe of." Katie interjected.