[ 20 ] * Like Chanyeol

*

It's dark. The lights are already out and the silence is too deafening you can hear your own mind speak.

Baekhyun can't go back to sleep. He should be sleeping right now because tomorrow will be a special day.

But he just can't.

He quietly twists the doorknob of his room and steps out, looking left to right, left to right, as though just to check if someone is there.

He is scared. It's too dark.

Of course there isn't, Baekhyun mentally says to console himself. There are only the two of them living in this house, why would someone be here aside from them?

Hesitantly, Baekhyun takes another five feather-light steps to bring himself closer to Chanyeol's room. He purses his lips and hugs his white pillow which covers almost half of his face and body.

He takes a deep breath and knocks.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

Baekhyun waits.

Still sleeping soundly on his bed, Chanyeol turns to his side and snores.

Baekhyun presses his cheek against the door, hearing the soft ticking of the clock and the low buzzing sound of the aircon.

He knocks again louder. Once. Twice. Thrice.

Chanyeol hears a subtle knock on the door, making him wake up from his sleep. He groans under his breath, while his blanket ruffles as he moves aimlessly. Turning his head towards the door as he slits his eyes lazily, he hears another three consecutive knocks.

He rubs his eyes sleepily.

"What is it?" Chanyeol says in a low voice.

The door swings open without any noise, and Baekhyun sheepishly reveals himself behind the pillow he is hugging. He is clad in a white loose pajamas as he stands there by the door silently.

"Chanyeol-sunbae..."

Chanyeol furrows his eyebrows.

"I can't go back to sleep," Baekhyun mumbles, and Chanyeol can hear a trace of fear in his voice. "I'm sorry for waking you up."

"It's fine."

"Did I disturb your sleep?"

"No," Chanyeol says, "Did you have a bad dream?"

Baekhyun doesn't answer. He closes the door behind him and walks towards the foot of Chanyeol's bed.

Chanyeol only looks at him, waiting, watching, observing.

Baekhyun never says anything either. He has his head ducked down, looking at his toes as if they are more interesting than Chanyeol's face. He shifts his weight in his left foot to the right, biting his lower lip anxiously.

Chanyeol gets up and makes a little space beside him.

"Come here."

Baekhyun sits on the bed beside Chanyeol but he doesn't lie down.

"Are you all right?"

Baekhyun shakes his head, Chanyeol can sense the other male is close to crying. He admits there is a slight worry he feels inside him he just can't form into words.

"Did you cry?

"No..."

"What did you see?"