Chapter 8

~A/N~

I dont have school today or tomorrow because snow days love my school lol. Well I decided to update for you guys so, here.

***Emma’s P.O.V.***

 I could feel Luke still crying into my shoulder as I was crying into his chest. Nash and Hayes tried to calm us down. They stayed there crying with us because they loved my dad as well. Nash and Hayes had to leave but they made sure we were okay. We were still crying but they knew we wouldn’t stop so they left. They told us they’d be back.

It felt like hours and my mom finally came home. By then, Luke and I were on the couch and we were calm-ish. She looked at us sadly. I just glared at her. “Where were you?” Luke asked angrily. “I had to stay at work,” my mom said quietly. Luke crossed his arms and looked forward. “So, work is more important than your kids having to deal with their father’s death?” I asked. “No,” she said. I looked away from her and crossed my arms as well. I know it’s not her fault and I shouldn’t be angry with her, but she should have at least called us.

My mom made some dinner and we ate in silence. No matter how hard she tried to start a conversation, Luke and I would not reply. “We’re going to Virginia this weekend for his funeral,” she said in a half whisper. She sounded as if she were holding back tears. I wasn’t eating. I was just pushing my food around my plate. I looked at Luke who was doing the same. “You know, I don’t understand why you guys are angry with me. I get that you guys are sad but--” I cut her off. “You don’t get it!” I yelled. I stood up and ran up to my room with tears streaming down my face. I slammed my door shut.

I ran my fingers through my hair and let out a huge grunt. I lost it. I started pushing my stuff off my desk. I slammed picture frames on the ground. I was basically destroying my room. I stopped and slammed my fist on my wall. I leaned my back against it and slid down. I sat there with my head buried in my knees, crying. I heard the door of my room open but I didn’t look up to see who it was. I felt someone lift me up and carry me onto my bed. I was too exhausted to fight back. He lay me down on the bed and stayed there with me. It was Hayes. I turned over to him and buried my head into his chest. I cried and cried but I finally fell asleep in Hayes’s arms.

***Hayes’s P.O.V.***

Nash and I were heading back to Emma’s house as promised. Our mom had explained to us how their dad died. Nash and I had put aside our argument for now but I knew I would have to ask Emma soon just not now. We got to the front door and didn’t bother knocking. We knew that neither Luke nor Emma would answer. When we walked in I saw Miss Thompson sitting in the dining room, her head in her hands. Nash put a hand on her shoulder and she looked up. She gave us a small smile and pointed up, gesturing that Luke and Emma were upstairs. We walked out of the dining room and to the stairs. We saw Luke sitting at the bottom of the stairs looking down. He wasn’t crying anymore but his eyes were red and puffy. He didn’t look up. I looked at Nash and he nodded, telling me to go take care of Emma. I started walking up the stairs and looked back to see Nash crouching down to sit with Luke. I turn away and go up to Emma’s door.

I reach Emma’s door and I hear her sobbing and my heart breaks. I take in a deep breath and open the door. Her room is a mess. All her pictures are cracked and her pillows are all over the floor. But when I saw her crying in the corner, my heart shattered. My eyes watered but I knew I had to be strong for her. I walked over to her and picked her up. I lie down on the bed and set her on top of me. She buried her face in my chest and cried. She cried and cried for so long but she finally fell asleep. I got up but made sure not to wake her. I decided to clean up her room. I wrapped a blanket on Emma and got to work. I grabbed a trash can and started picking up the broken glass from the picture frames. It looked like all of her picture frames were on the ground except one. I walked over to the one that was left standing and smiled. It was a picture of me kissing her cheek during her fourth grade birthday party.

I took all the pictures out of their frames and threw the frames away. I put the pictures on her desk, along with everything else that belonged there. I put all the pillows back on her day bed and put everything else back in place. When I finish everything looks like its back to normal. Everything but the usually happy girl, who now looks broken. I sigh and turn the door knob. “Hayes?” Emma says softly. I turn around. “Can you stay with me?” she asks. I smile, “Of course.” I go to her bed and lie down next to her. I wrap my arm around her and she wraps her arms around me, burying her face in me. I smile and we fall asleep this way.

~A/N~

Awwuh Hayes and Emma <3 but yeah. But why do you think Emma is so mad at her mom for? Well you'll have to wait to find out! I'll update tomorrow and I might update once or twice... depending on how many reads I get. I hope you guys are enjoying the story so far!

~Selena