Chapter 3 - School for the Fallen

After the morning fiasco, Jem took Sapphire upstairs to get her some clothes. Crystal was smaller than Sapphire, so she had to wear some of his clothes for school - which he wasn't too impressed with, but he didn't complain. He'd rather she dress in one of his baggy clothes than wander around in a torn white dress that expressed too much of her body, she'd have all the boys following her otherwise.

 He leaded her into his room, letting her scan it over with her eyes. He rolled his eyes and pulled open some drawers before he sat down on his bed, lolling his head back to stare at the ceiling. He waved his hand towards the drawers he had opened for her to pick some clothes. "Pick some." He mumbled, tilting his head to look at her - confirming her movement towards the drawers.

He sighed, his head falling back into it's original place. His ears picked up on the sound of her bare feet on his wooden floorboards. She stood to a halt in front of the drawers, her eyes blinking at them before she crouched down and looked into them. The first one was filled with shirts and the other with jeans. She bit her lip, placing her hand in the shirts drawer.

Her hand rummaged through it, trying not to ruin the nicely folded clothing. She pulled out a shirt from the bottom of the drawer and looked at it. Her eyes sunk in the white fabric, it looked like it was too small for Jem now, but maybe slightly too big for Sapphire. She turned her head to look at the lazy Jem who was sat on his bed, but his upper half laying back to stare at the ceiling.

"Um... Is this okay?" She asked, holding up the shirt for him to inspect.

Jem's head snapped up, his eyes narrowed at the girl who interrupted his daydream. He instantly remembered who the girl was and let his face relax into a more casual glance. His eyes drifted to the shirt she was offering, he nodded. "It's fine." He grumbled, waving his hand for her to look for the other half of her outfit.

She nodded, turning back to the drawers at his gesture. She lay the shirt neatly by her side before moving to the jean drawer. She had to stand up a bit to look in that drawer, but she didn't mind. She peered into it, her eyes searching for something matching the shirt. Her eyes noticed a piece of white that sat right at the back of the drawer, her hand gliding over the jeaned fabrics to reach it. She pulled it out to reveal a pair of white chinos.

She wrinkled her nose at them in thought, trying to work out if they would fit. She bit her lip, twisted around to look at Jem, who was now holding a book in his hand, but didn't seem to be actually reading it. She chewed her lip, before speaking. "How about these?"

Jem discarded the book, sitting up and staring at his long lost Chinos. He smirked, "Yeah. They'll do. Hurry up or we'll be late for school."

Sapphire nodded rapidly, picking up the shirt and clutching the clothes to her chest as she stood up. "Where shall I change?" She wondered aloud.

"There." Jem replied, turning away appropriately and covering his head with his bedsheets.

She blinked for a moment, biting her lip viciously before nodding to the now hidden Jem. She sighed as she peeled the white fabric from her bare body and pulled it over her head - letting it drop to the floor with a soft thump. She turned away from Jem, just in case he decided he wanted to be rude and look. She stood nervously while she slipped the white shirt over her head and it covered her upper half.

The fabric hung on her body, slightly baggy, but it fitted and covered all the necessary parts. She proceeded to un-fold the jeans and pulled them up her legs. They hugged her thighs but hung on her hips dangerously as if they might fall if she weren't careful. She bit her lip, ran her fingers through her blackened hair and sighed softly. She coughed, "I'm ready." She mumbled, letting her bare feet poke each other nervously.

Jem pulled the covers from his head, gasping for breath with a chuckle. His eyes flickered to the girl in his room in an all white outfit. He blinked. Stared at her some more before speaking. "You look... nice." He mumbled, his eyes darting to his bedroom window. He sighed as he pulled himself off his bed and walked over to her.

She bit her lip harder, her eyes followed his movement as he took her arm and leaded her back downstairs. She kept her eyes focused in front of her, to make sure she didn't trip over something. He guided her into a large room with a handful of armchairs scattered around and a black box that was known as a 'television'. He gestured to one of the seats, and she chewed her lip before taking it.

"I'll be down in a minute. Keep yourself occupied." He told her with a grunt, leaving her alone in the silent room and rushed up the stairs, taking two at a time.

She stared at the black box in front of her, her mind and expression blank as she waited patiently for him to come back downstairs. The silence was more painful than she thought it would be as the house seemed to be filled with life earlier that morning. She sighed as she folded her hands into her lap, her eyes fixed on nothing important. 

Footsteps echoed into her ears and out came Jem from the door, his attire was a black shirt that pronounced his upper body and light blue jeans that hung on his hips. He stared at Sapphire before sighing. "We're leaving. Coming or not?" He asked bluntly, picking up his car keys from the hook attached to the wall. 

She nodded, "I'm coming, thank you." She whispered and rose from the seat, hugging herself slightly as she shuffled towards him. 

He handed her a piece of black leather - a jacket - and she blinked at it. "What is this?" She asked, moving her eyes to look at him.

"Just put it on" He grumbled, opening the front door for her.

She nodded and slipped the black leather over her arms, it hugged her arms nicely as she walked through the door. "Thank you." She whispered.

He rolled his eyes, moved to the car and opened her door for her before moving to his own door, but watched her get in first. He leaned over and buckled her in, closing the door behind her and reeving up the engine, smirking at her jumping slightly. He flicked on the radio, a metal station coming on and he sighed. It was going to be a long journey.