Chapter 5

After placing Mrs. Rocks briefcase in the car, Cindy hurried back while I waited for her.

She had said she'd be able to get me out of this hell hole and I desperately wanted to know how.

When Cindy got back, she looked in my direction and smiled. She went up to her desk, tore a piece of paper from a notebook and scribbled something on it with a pencil. Then, she handed the paper to me and sat next to me.

This is the number and address of Dr. Brian Cross. He's....Well, he's a psychologist. I think he will know how to help you.

I looked at her, bewildered. What?! A psychologist? Do you think I'm crazy? I'm not crazy, okay?!

Oh no! You are definitely not crazy. But I am sure he can help you with your problems. You don't only need a psychologist for issues like mental retardation or Alzheimer's and stuff. But they can also help when you are feeling low. Trust me, he'll know exactly what to do. She said, reassuringly.

How are you so sure? Have you been to him?

She looked kind of sad when I said that.

Well, as a matter of fact, I have. One of my friends advised me to go to him wh...When I lost my fiàncee. We had been engaged for almost a year and dated for about 5 years before that. Never understood why he killed himself. Couldn't come to terms with it. I never had any closure. Dr. Cross helped me with that and I think he can help you too.

I just looked at Cindy as a teardrop left her eye and trickled down her cheek. I had never known that she had been through such tragedy.

Every time I had ever seen her, she was always so happy! So grateful for everything! Nobody could ever tell that she had been through such hell.

I agreed to go. It was high time I seeked for help from somebody. I couldn't fight it alone. I sighed and left.

That afternoon, as I got home, I was surprised to hear noises coming from the kitchen.

My mom was sitting at the counter, with that Dr. Mark. God! How I hated him! They were having take out lunch from Clark's restaurant.

I threw my bag on the sofa and stormed up to my room. I could hear my mom call out to me as I slammed the door shut.

I slumped into my bean bag chair as my mom knocked and entered my room.

Mel, this is very rude behaviour! Did you not see that Dr. Mark is here? You should've at least said hi!

Why should I care? He's your boyfriend. Not mine! I said, pulling my socks off my feet.

This is not how you speak to your mother, Melissa! She was shouting at me now. She hadn't been this angry with me in a while. Was that Mark teaching her to hate me? That idiot! He wanted my mom all to himself!

Like you even care! Why are you even at home at this time? I scoffed.

Because, I got a call from your school today. I had to take a half day from work. Now, would you happen to know anything about that? She asked, sternly.

You took a half day? Bu...But then why did you tell Mrs. Rock that you were busy all week? She said you wouldn't be able to come in. I asked, clearly confused.

The look of anger on my mother's face slowly turned into a soft expression. She kneeled down beside me and swept her fingers through my hair.

That is because I love you, hon. From her tone, I could tell that she meant what she was saying pretty seriously. She wasn't joking. And if I would've come there today, you know very well what would happen. I don't think either of us wanted that. So I'm going to leave you alone for a while. Talk to me when you feel like it.

She kissed me on the forehead, stood up and walked out, closing the door behind her.

I just sat there, not knowing what to do. My head was heavy and I was feeling dizzy. My heart was racing.

I started crying uncontrollably. What was I doing with my life?!

Just then, I heard a knock on the door. It was Mark.

May I come in? He asked.

I would like to be left alone for a while, please. I said through sobs.

Okay. I just wanted you to know that when your mother was keeping your bag on the table, a paper fell out from the side pocket. I didn't show it to her. I didn't know if you wanted me to. Here.

He handed me the paper with the psychologists' number and address on it.

I took it from him and just stared at it. My vision was all blurry from all the crying. Thanks.

No problem. He smiled.
So, are you planning on seeing Dr. Brian? He inquired.

I want to. But I haven't thought about it yet. I don't want to be known as the crazy kid who is seeing a psychologist. I have enough problems already.

Then, don't tell anybody. He said, in a matter-of-fact manner.

I let out a small laugh.

I don't have to! These things spread. I don't know how but they do.

Hmmm. Are you planning on talking to your mother about this?

I don't know yet.

Okay then. I'll leave you to it. He smiled and got up to leave.

Hey...ummm...do you think he can help me? This Brian guy?

Mark just looked at me, smiling.

Come on! You ought to know. You are a real doctor, aren't you? I smirked. Somehow, talking to him made me forget my problems for a while. I still hated him though.

Melissa, I think he will definitely help you. Brian is a very good friend of mine and an amazing doctor at that too. Don't worry.

He walked out, closing the door behind him.

I stood up from the bean bag chair and walked towards the window.

I looked out, to see my mom kiss Mark goodbye. He hugged her and seemed to be saying something to her. It felt as though he was telling her that everything would be alright.

I wish I could believe it too...

Note: Hey guys! So this is the next part of the story. I hope you are enjoying it. If you have any suggestions regarding the story, please do let me know and I shall try to incorporate them to my best ability. Please do vote and comment. Happy reading!