Chapter 9

Dedicated to SagarikaKhannaBooks and JulietPillow for being such amazing readers. I hope you are enjoying the story. Have fun! :-)

I stood there, waiting for Dr. Cross to finish up his conversation on the phone. Then, he walked up to us.

Ah, yes. About this. Zoey, she is a patient and I need you to be more considerate when talking to all the patients. Do you understand? He looked at her sternly.

But I..Zoey started to explain.

We will discuss this later. I don't have time right now. And you are..? He looked in my direction, waiting for an answer.

I..I'm Melissa Crawford. I forgot to reply to the appointment email and I really need to see you today.

He looked at his watch before he said, Sure! But you will have to wait till I'm done with all my other patients who actually do have a confirmed appointment with me today. Is that fine with you?

I nodded yes.

Well then, please be seated. I shall see you shortly. He smiled and nodded before he went back into his office. He gave Zoey a stern look as the door closed behind him.

Zoey rolled her eyes at me. I'm sorry to have caused any inconvenience ma'am. Please take a seat. You too, sir. She referred to the guy standing beside me.

He smiled at her at went to sit back in his seat.

I turned and walked towards the chairs and hesitantly sat in the one next to the guy from before.

Thank you. For the...you know. The help back there. I looked and him and smiled weakly.

He looked into my eyes and gave a broad smile. Oh don't worry about it.

After a brief moment of silence, he spoke.

So, first time here?

I nodded.

What about you?  I asked.

Ah! I've been coming here for almost 6 months now? I guess. This is actually one of my last few visits before I'm declared all hail and happy! He winked as he threw his hands in the air as though to cheer.

I only smiled in response. For some very stupid reason, I felt sad.

What have you been coming here for? I asked.

I'm sorry but I'd rather not talk about it to someone I've just met? I hope you understand. He shrugged.

Yeah! Yeah! That's totally fine by me. You don't have to tell me anything. We don't know each other so...

What are you here for? If you don't mind me asking? He looked me straight in the eyes. It kind of made me feel weird and good at the same time.

Well, I'll tell you some other time maybe.

Over coffee? He smirked. God! That smile. I hadn't come across something like this that made me forget my worries in a long time!

Over coffee. I laughed.

Great! I'm Nathan. He held out his hand.

Melissa. I took his hand and shook it. He had a firm handshake. Like the kind professionals say you should have to make a strong first impression.

Mr. Miller? Zoey called out from behind the counter. He looked up in her direction.

It's your turn. She said, as the previous patient walked out the door.

I'll be right back? He said, getting up from his seat.

You know where to find me! I smiled. I didn't realize what I was doing. I was socializing with another human being like a totally normal person! What had gotten into me?!

He was probably the last patient because nobody else was in the waiting area, which probably meant I would get to go in next. I tapped my foot desperately against the marble floor as I waited my turn.

Just then, the door knob turned and Nathan walked out. He saw me get up from my chair and walk towards him.

This is my number. You know, just in case you feel like you want to have that coffee. He smiled and handed me a piece of paper. I took it from him and slid it into my pocket as I walked past him into the office.

The office was even more grand than the waiting area. The walls were full of happy, smiling people. The wall behind the doctor's desk was full of all his laurels and achievements and numerous degrees.

He motioned for me to sit.

I guess he knew what I was thinking because he said, these are my real patients, by the way. They aren't just pictures of random people off the internet to create a "vibe" or anything. Not selling positivity here. Just doing my job to make lives liveable. To show people that you can be happy again. He put his hands in the air as though to surrender.

I didn't say.. I started, nervously.

I know! I know you didn't. I'm just clarifying my part of the story. I genuinely want to help. He gave a broad smile.

So, Miss Melissa Crawford. What brings you here? He knit his fingers together and waited for my response.

I was lost for words. I didn't know what to say simply because I didn't know why I was here anymore.

My entire life was a big problem. Was I supposed to tell him everything? Was my issue with my mother just something I faced?  Is it completely normal or is that something I needed to address? I was confused. I felt vulnerable.

He scribbled something onto a notepad in front of him.

I..I guess I'm not sure why I'm here. Actually, someone at school gave me your number so I thought I'd come by. I felt so stupid.

That's okay. Most people don't know why they're here. Don't worry about it. I'll help you figure it out. Let's take this step by step, shall we? He smiled encouragingly. His smile had something to it. A warmth. It made me want to trust him. I nodded.

Okay great! So, why don't you outline your day for me? As in, what all happened since you woke up this morning. And I'd prefer the sole truth, please. He winked.

As I started to speak, I could feel my blood rush through my veins and words spill out from my mind. It was then that I realized how much of a problem I had. And I felt lucky to have gone there. Because this was something I wouldn't be able to handle on my own. It was a long and tough journey ahead...