Chapter 8

A gasp was all that left my mouth when I saw what my mother had 'gifted' me.

It truly did surprise me though.

It was the picture of a cute little baby in a pink onesie.

The baby had soft chestnut brown hair, big blue eyes and a cute little button nose. I could recognize those features from any part of the world, any time of the day.

I ran my fingers on the glass of the frame as I looked up at my mother with tears in my eyes and waiting for  her to say something.

My mother simply nodded as she ran her fingers through my hair and held me closer.

She's starting to look just like my little angel, isn't she? She smiled.

I...is..thi..Is this Megan? I asked, my voice quivering.

I could feel a lump form in my throat. My heart started beating a little faster.

My mother simply smiled and nodded.

She's so beautiful. And she's grown so much!

A tear left my eye and trickled down my cheek. It fell on the frame I held in my hands. The room was so quiet, I even heard the plop sound the tear made as it came in contact with the cold glass.

How..how did you? I couldn't even bring myself to finish the sentence.

My mother took in a deep breath before she explained.

Like I told you, the paediatric department was short of staff today so I chose to volunteer.
The Jensons had brought her in for her vaccination appointment. And when I saw her, I knew I had to get a picture. She was so beautiful! I knew it would make you happy.

I waited for her to go on.

I think God wanted you to see your baby girl today to make your life a little bit easier. I know you are going through a lot, honey. That is why I got the picture developed and framed so you can keep it forever. Don't you like it?

I couldn't say anything. Rather, I didn't want to. I started to cry. Tears wouldn't stop rolling down my eyes.

My mother held me close and kissed my forehead.

That night, I slept on my mom's lap, holding the photo of Megan tightly against my chest.

When I woke up the next morning, I was still on the couch.

Mom had placed a blanket over me and the frame stood on the coffee table in a way that it was the first thing I saw when I opened my eyes.

I sat up, my neck sore from sleeping on the couch all night. I felt as though a huge cloud of sadness hung over my body.

I felt heavy, sad, irritated and torn apart all at once. I needed to vent. But the tears wouldn't come.

I didn't know why I was feeling this way. The day hadn't even started yet. But I just felt this way anyway..

I got up and went up to my room. I brushed my teeth, bathed, wore a purple t-shirt and blue jeans, grabbed my backpack and headed down.

I had to make it look like I was going to school. But in reality, I had that appointment with the doctor today.

I had mentioned my age in the online form as 20 instead of 17 just so they wouldn't need me to give them a parent's or guardian's number.

I didn't want my mom involved.

As I walked past the kitchen and towards the door, my mom call out to me.

Melissa! Wait up! Why in such a hurry, sweetheart?  The school bus doesn't get here for another 15 minutes! My mother followed me till the door with a glass of orange juice in her hand. She offered it to me.