It All Started With An Invitation

Our teacher at world literature gave us some handouts and i was touched..

While I still wore little sundresses and weird hats I played in my front yard on a pink swing I made with my dad. You came by on a red bike racing other children. You kept pacing in front of me back and forth until I invited you to swing with me. And we went on. The two of us best friends.

At 12 you asked me to dance. I thought it was weird because we were best friends. Your hair was gelled and you smelled like the cheap cologne you buy at Wal-Mart. But strange enough I liked it. We danced until the song was over then acted like we never did.

On my 15th birthday you gave me a heart-shaped necklace that took you months to save up for. I kissed you on the cheek and you blushed. I wear that necklace every day.

At 18 we were deciding what colleges to go to. I got accepted to all of them I wanted. But you only got accepted to one. So I chose that one because, I loved you.

At 25 we were taking a walk. It was evening and the sun was setting. As we were watching the sun go down you looked into my eyes and got down on one knee. You pulled out a box with a ring inside.

At 81 we were on the porch watching our granddaughter on the swing. As a boy with a red bike passed by. She invited him to play. We looked at each other and smiled.