Chatper 7: Halfway There

Five minutes. Just five more minutes and first period is over.

To say I was a little nervous was an understatement. Obviously I knew Scarlet coming to my school was a big NO, but because it's been going so well up to now I couldn't hide the sweat forming on my forehead.

While Mr. Crotwell talked about the Cold War, Scarlet decided to ignore my wishes on laying low. Not only did she know her history, but she mocked almost everyone that answered incorrectly. And once she did that, she would turn and smile at me proving I had no control over her.  Not that I did to begin with...

Feeling like a broken record for sighing again, I let her cause mayhem on my classmates. At least she didn't go all full fledge vampire and kill everyone. Or better yet, get angry with me. When I pulled her out the hallway because of my own issues didn't sit well with her and my image is already tainted enough.

Thinking of ways on how this event could be problematic in the future, the bell rang. Jumping out of my seat, I quickly threw all my stuff back into my backpack. Zipping it back up, Scarlet's cold hand touched mine. Startled, she gripped my wrist as she walked out and with ease, pushed me in front of her.

"Hurry up and lead the way."

Mumbling that we have to go to the second floor, I gesture her to follow me. As I tried to make a pathway for myself through the crowd, in the back of my head I did my best to not turn around. Knowing full well she wouldn't like it if I was making sure she was following me, I remembered that I didn't have too.

The coldness that I felt on my wrist did not only startle me, but reminded me of when I fished her out the trash bin. Caught up on adrenaline, I almost didn't catch it but whenever Scarlet was within a couple feet of me (and only me, since my friend haven't voiced out their discomfort), I could feel this somewhat cold atmosphere telling me she was near.

So with that, the closer I got to our English class, that cold air I was now getting accustomed to, was covering my entire back. Slowing down, I spotted my friends. Catching Mason's attention, he waved us over as he and the twins leaned on the lockers next to our class arguing once again.

"Hey, guys what's the problem this time?" I asked once I was close enough.

"Ignore them, how was history?" Mason asked looking at both Scarlet and I.

"Weird," I say, but get cut off as Scarlet speaks over me.

"It was fun, I didn't think people were too emotional these days."

"What?"

"Nothing." She adds with a small smile. "I just so happened to outsmart everyone in my class."

"Really?" That was Jerry.

"Holy cow, what did Crotwell say?" And that was Jerry. Ending their dispute, they huddled closer to hear Scarlet's story. Rolling my eyes, I leaned on the lockers.

"He actually didn't say much, since he was too busy praising me at each answer."

"At your old school, you must've been ahead then." Mason added as we all know that Crotwell has the tendency to hate know-it-alls.

"I just read, and everything sticks to my head. Oh, that reminds me, what was her name? Jam? No, Sam! Yeah, her, while Ash was too busy daydreaming, he missed me putting Sam in her place.