Chapter Five: It's ALL Your Fault!!

| Like It’s A Bad Thing | Chapter 06

Chapter Title: It’s ALL Your Fault!!

***

I’m not sure what’s wrong…but it’s probably your fault.

- Some sarcastic saying

***

The next morning, Lukas and I got up early, met up in the common room then headed out to the Quidditch pitch. It was a thing we had; like our bonding time, I guess. Since we met each other in first year, we always practiced Quidditch and were pretty good at it. If we wanted to, we could’ve easily made it as co-captains of the team, but we stayed out of it.

A few people asked me why I didn’t try for the Beaters position, but I replied with the same answer every time: I’m not interested.

They looked at me like I was crazy, but it was the truth. I mean, who would be interested in a team where three-quarters of the players were jack asses? Out of all the Houses, our team cheated on almost every game AND played really nasty tricks that sent a lot of people to the infirmary.

I don’t think I can handle hurting anyone. I wasn’t a jerk and neither was Lukas.

So, all in all, we agreed to stay out of it.

***

It was warm and breezy, a clear day for baby blue skies. Birds were chirping in the background and I heard a distinct voice in my head calling me to play. This is where I belong, I thought. No worries, no drama. Just good, old Quidditch

I stretched my arms up and sighed happily. “It’s good day today.” I said, turning to Lukas.

He nodded enthusiastically, twisting back and forth to crack his back. “I know! It’s been FOREVER since we played!! I missed it. It’s a good thing we have the field to ourselves. No one can interrupt us. Although...”

I raised an eyebrow, waiting for him to finish. “Although what?”

He winked at me.

“Oh, you’ll find out later. Now come on,” he grabbed a Quaffle from the sport trunk and tossed me the Beater bat. “I don’t really want to work with the Bludgers today. Nasty things, they are. So, we’ll work with the Quaffles and rally! I’ll toss the ball to you and you’ll hit it back with the bat. Okay?”

I shrugged. “Sure.”

With that, we mounted our brooms, kicked off the ground and zoomed around the field as fast as we can. It felt great, having the wind fly through my hair and flip in the air. It was exhilarating, it was enchanting. It felt like what magic felt like: amazing.

There were a lot of times Lukas threw the Quaffle low so I could practice my dive, and then aimed real high in the sky so I could escalate.

When it went up to the point where I couldn’t see it, I chased after it, suspended in air at my highest momentum then doubled back to a dive and headed straight for a ninety-degree drop. I pulled up parallel to the ground before I could get squashed into a pancake and rode up to Lukas’ height. He was still grinning widely.

I threw the Quaffle at him. He dodged the ball.

“You’re really testing my limits, you know?”

The grin on his face got even wider. “No dur! Wouldn’t you want to show off for a guy who likes you and may just happen to be walking by?”

“What?” I asked confused.

“Your soul mate’s watching you, is all I’m saying.”

An all too-familiar feeling of hope rose up again. I blinked eyes wide and my heart immediately jumping against my rib cage. “Um… You don’t mean…?”