Yuri, realizing

The seashell was not on the rock.

Yuri rushed to the cave. "Victor!" He wasn't there.

He rushed outside. "Victor!" He wasn't there.

Victor must be somewhere on land. Yuri could only swim around the island and call, hoping for a reply. He didn't have much time, a couple of hours at most. He promised to meet back with Yurio before nightfall.

A bubble of fear started to spread. All of this could be for nothing. He would have put Yurio in danger for nothing and the ache he felt would just get worse. It almost felt like he would go mad if he didn't see Victor soon, and he knew it wasn't normal. That it was his body malfunctioning. His body believing that Victor could be his mate.

It was dangerous to want anyone like this. He knew he shouldn't be needing anyone like this. Because when you want someone with all your heart — like he had loved his family — when they leave to never come back... Everything changes, nothing is the same anymore.

"Victor!" Yuri cried as loud as he could. From the heart, from his soul.

"Yuri!"

The natare turned around. At first he didn't see anything. Then he heard his name again and spotted Victor far up at the edge of a ridge.

Yuri fidgeted, simply for the fact that he could see Victor, but couldn't reach him.

"Go to the cave!" Victor yelled and started running along the ridge.

Yuri followed in the water, matching Victor's speed, glancing every so often to make sure they were side by side even if separated by sea and land.

Before he knew it Yuri reached the open area by their cave, right below the high arch. He watched Victor carefully trek across the rock until he was right above Yuri and without thinking twice, he jumped.

Yuri felt no panic this time.

As Victor crashed into the ocean Yuri dove under to meet him beneath the surface. The human's hair floated around him like it belonged in the depths, his hand reaching out to the natare. Yuri's fingers closed around it, pulling, holding. Lips meeting in forlorn touches for one moment, then two, until Yuri remembered Victor needed air and he took the human with him back to the surface.

 Lips meeting in forlorn touches for one moment, then two, until Yuri remembered Victor needed air and he took the human with him back to the surface

Art by https://zepatvish.tumblr.com

Victor breathe deeply, almost gasping. He didn't say anything was wrong, but Yuri knew, he had held his breath for too long.

"You came back," Victor murmured then bit his lip, like he wanted to say more, but the words were never uttered.

Yuri nuzzled against Victor's neck. Feeling the ache in his core finally abide. Wanting the moment to last, but reality was too pressing. "I have to leave before nightfall."