Chapter 6: First Step

Warning: Violence may occur so.. Uhm.. Have fun...

Mai's vision faded for a moment, then she was now back in the dark cellar. She looked around, it was dark. There were other kids slumped against the wall, all lifeless..

She noticed she was in a pair of brown trousers and had a dirty white shirt on. Her shoes were off, seeing all these scabs and cuts on them. As she let where she was sink in, she heard footsteps march down the hall. One by one kids were getting dragged into the room, their lifeless bodies being sent into their torture chamber..

Those group of kids- Mai just heard their screams for their parents. Mai cried, covering her ears with her weak arms. The other kids besides her were also crying, closing their eyes- trying to keep the noise out of their heads.

Though, it was now her turn. She heard a gasp that wasn't her own. It finally kicked in that she was in someone's memories/point of view..
She felt the force of the people slamming her down onto the table- she didn't want to deal with this again.. But she had to.

She watched as the cloaked person reached up for the cleaver but then set it back down. 
The man grinned, picking up a pair of scissors. Mai panicked. The scissors were now aiming towards the eyes, she wanted to look away but she was forced to keep her eyes on them.

She screamed, feeling a weird sensation go through her head- the cold liquid pouring down both sides of her face. Now that she couldn't see, she didn't know what to expect.
A sharp pain when into both her arms. A pain so unreal she didn't know what to feel.
One of the cloaked people had picked up the cleaver, chopping both arms off.

Mai was in shock- eventually she was finally released from this hell, floating in white.
She was back to current time, seeing that the white room now change back into base.
Her still lifeless body was twitching and spazzing out- but it seemed they were on to something.
Naru kept pacing back and forth from where Mai laid to the desk with the monitors. 

As few minutes later passed, Mai's world went back to complete darkness.
She gasped as finally she was away from that dreadful scene.
Gene was once again back, his arms folded across his chest, staring intently away from the girl.
White blurs soon came to view, as they got closer they became more distorted, fading in and out and hard to make what they were.

"Those are the lost spirits that are haunting this house" Gene said.
He turned to face Mai, "You are the only one who can help them move on" He looked back at the white blurs, thoroughly examining them.

"But how?!" Mai went up to him, as the white blurs went through her, she shivered with the abnormal coldness coming from them.

"How you always do. Talk to them. Guide them. Show them the reasons to live. But once you get done with that.."
Gene turned his head towards the girl, his face full of sadness and worry.
"You have to deal with the parents.. then once you return to your body- you must deal with them"

"What's with that face? Gene.. What are you hiding from me?"

It took a moment for the ghostly boy to respond, but finally he answered her question.
"You can easily die doing this, you understand? That's why I'm trying my best to guide you and that is why my brother and his team are working to figure out ways to exorcise the demons in that place"

Die..

That word rung into her dead..

"Are you up to it? Or should I say.. Can you do it?" Gene asked which pulled her out of her thoughts.

Mai nodded her head, "I'll try"

........

The same thing happened to her multiple times.
Being tortured- getting pulled back into darkness- repeat.
Her body soon grew very weak but she continued to press on.