eight

"You said yes?" Justin coughed - shocked.

"Well you told me to" I jerked my head backwards. "Besides, he could be nice. According to you, he's all of a sudden the world's most wonderful human being" I giggled.

Justin rolled his eyes "I never said that. I told you to give him a chance, you have to promise me not to get too ahead of yourse-" I cut him off.

"Calm down, I won't. Do you think I'm going to do that on the first date?"

Justin shrugged, he seemed distant and unusually glum. I'd interrogated him on it many times but he always blamed it on Anna. I swear, she didn't deserve him. His new pining for Anna was extremely confusing, especially since he hadn't spoken about her since the break up.

I smiled at him. "You can come with us if you want. I don't even know where we're going yet"

"As much as I'd love to sit and third wheel for a night, I'm at my dad's until Sunday, he'd kill me" Justin sighed.

"Why does he hate me so much?" I groaned, receiving a plain shrug from Justin. "Well you're welcome to come" 

Justin nodded and pointed to his house "I know. Bye"

I watched him walk into his house. Something was wrong and it wasn't Anna. She'd never gotten to him like this, even when they were together. I couldn't let my best friend suffer in silence, I wouldn't be a best friend if I could. 
Skipping towards his house, I made my way to his front door. I pressed his doorbell and waited for the footsteps inside his house.

"What are you doing here?" His dad stared straight through me, making me feel extremely inadequate.

"I'm sorry, I really am. Could I please speak to Justin, just for a moment?" I pleaded, moving into his eyeline.

Justins dad breathed out like a stroppy teenager before stepping out of my way, letting me through. I thanked him before quietly walking up the stairs and knocking on Justins bedroom door.

"Does my dad know you're here?" Justin whispered, his eyes wide to which I nodded, pushing myself into his room.

"You've been distant lately, what's up?" I started. He opened his mouth to speak but I interrupted "And don't blame it on Anna, I know that's just a facade"

Justin sat down next to me and looked at me inquisitively. "Alright detective" I rolled my eyes. "You're right, it's not Anna"

"I'm aware... so what is it?" I asked again.

"I - you have to go" He stood up, pulling me up as he did so.

I narrowed my eyes "i'm not leaving until you tell me whats wrong, Justin"

He rolled his eyes before grabbing hold of my shoulders, turning me around and forcing me out of his door. Locking the door from the inside. "Goodbye, Lexa" 

My jaw dropped, I was speechless. Clearly his problem was too big for him to handle yet he wanted to handle it by himself. A problem shared is a problem halved, he seemed to be beating himself up about it and I wanted to take at least a fraction of the weight off of his shoulders. I couldn't if he wouldn't tell me. Why would he say it wasn't about Anna and then leave me hanging like that?

HARRY

she said yes. She said yes and I had no idea what to do. Why wasn't she more excited? She acted as though it was a chore. I didn't know where to take her, how to start a conversation, or even how to look at her. Man, what was happening to me?

After getting home, I decided to notify both Miller and Corey on my progress. When I say decided I mean I was obliged to. Miller congratulated me and Corey became bitter and told me it was 'about time' because I was apparently 'the last one to start by far'.

To be honest, I couldn't care less what Corey thought of me when it came to anything outside the team. So what if I took my time? It's a hard decision to make.

The worst part was... Lexa was a nice girl. From what other people had said, she was untainted. I didn't want to be the first to make a mark. She deserved so much more than what we were about to force on her. I didn't know her, of course. She could have been nothing like the girl I heard about but she looked like it. Part of me was hoping that she wouldn't give me a chance. Afterall, I couldn't complete something when the possibility was... impossible.

In the end, I decided to take her out to The Gemini. It was a club round the corner from my house that had live, exclusive bands playing every night. Truthfully, it was my favourite place. Most of the bands were unknown but the atmosphere in there was insane, we could get to know eachother. I didn't know what I'd do if she hated it. Fake dating her would be a nightmare.

___________________

I'm trying to make Harry nice but also arrogant and it's not working 😂 xoxo