Chapter 5

The dining hall was one big square room in the palace. The room was divided into to two sections. One side was for the lords, ladies, royalty, or special guest. The other for the servants who worked at the palace. Though the servants were the last to eat. Once the lords, ladies, royalty, or any special guest had finished their meal and left the room, were the servants allowed to enter the room and eat. Any leftover food that was not eaten where given to servants. Only because once the food was cooked and served, the kitchen was closed.

Karma, Omar, and the little elf girl, Hope, entered the room during lunch hour. The lords and ladies ate their food peacefully, not really caring who or what entered the room. Across the room, Omar spotted his wife, Mika, at an empty table. When their eyes met, Mika waved them over. Food was immediately placed in front of them once they sat down. Karma poured herself a glass of water after she and Mika greeted each other. "So, is it true?" Mika asked. "Are the dwarves really disappearing?" Karma nodded.

"Yes, and the prince of the dwarves came to ask of help. He thinks the goblins are behind it all." Karma explained, her eyes watching as Shari stuffed a strawberry in his tiny mouth.

"So, I've been told," the elf-woman said. She played with her daughter's hair as the little elf ate her lunch. "Omar told me you refused to help them."

"I didn't refuse," Karma said shooting Omar a dirty look. "I simply told them that I didn't want to get involve. That we weren't even sure if the goblins were actually kidnaping the dwarves." Mika nodded.

"I'm guessing Dagner didn't take it all that well either, mm?"

"Of course not."

"I wouldn't worry. He's a hardheaded dwarf who wanted nothing but peace in his Clan." They ate their lunch and talked some more. The conversation on the dwarves were long forgotten. When Karma finished her lunch, she excused herself and headed toward her room with Angel in tow. The long-tailed fox was happy with meal she had gotten, so happy in fact, that her tongue hung lower from her mouth than usual. Karma rubbed the fox's ear as they walked.

She was glad for the company that Angel provided her. It sent her comfort knowing that the fox would always have her back. Karma's thoughts then turned to her dwarven friend, Dagner. He was one of many friends who would have someone's back no matter what the danger may be. Feeling bad, Karma turned right and headed for the dwarf's room. His room was farther than Omar and Mika's room and one floor below. The dwarf had insisted on having a room near the wine cellar. The room-keeper had at first refused to give him a room like that, since the room-keeper knew how much a dwarf could drink in one hour. But Karma had somehow convinced the room-keeper.

Karma knocked hard and loud on the door. She waited there for several seconds and when Dagner didn't come to the door, she pounded on the door and called his name. She knew that the dwarf was in there, probably drinking himself away, Karma had thought. Moments had passed and Karma was getting tired of standing around waiting for him to open the door. She pushed down on the door handle and was surprise to find it unlock. When she entered the room, Dagner was not in there. He was gone. Karma looked around the small room. A bed laid in center, a desk and chair in the right top corner, a wardrobe across from the desk, and the whole floor was littered with ale bottles.

The room, besides all that, was clean. The wardrobe, Karma saw, was empty of all clothing. Karma thought that was a bit suspicious, then suddenly her heart skipped a beat. "Angel," she said to her fox. "Go get Omar."

----

Omar didn't know why at first Angel had come back. At first, he thought it was because she wanted to play with Hope, like always, but when Mika had noticed that Angel was trying to get their attention, they followed Angel all the way to Dagner's room. Omar saw Karma in there pacing. "What's the matter?" He asked once he stepped into the room with Mika and Hope following close behind.

"Something isn't right," she said. "I came here to talk with Dagner, but he's not here."

"He might be in the cellar," Omar suggested, but Karma shook her head.

"The wardrobe is empty." Karma said. "And I don't know about you, but I know dwarves like using the stuff that their host gives them." Mika walked across the room, carefully, as she tried not to step or kick any ale bottles. She walked over to the desk and picked up a piece of paper. Her face paled. She cleared her throat.

"Omar... Karma," she said and handed her husband the paper. He read it aloud:

Gone with Prince Valor and the Advisor to help save my people. I cannot sit here and twiddle my thumbs while my people are disappearing. Goblins fault or not, I will figure this out... even if it means going to war. Do not worry about me.

Stay safe,

Dagner

Karma's eyes grew wide and her face paled more than normal. "Oh no!" She said. "This is all my fault!" Mika placed a comforting hand on her shoulder.

"No, it's not," Mika said. "Dagner made his choice, we must honor that." It was at that moment; Karma had made her next decision.

"Well I'm not sure about you two, but I'm not going to stand by a let our friend do this by himself. We're going to figure out what happen to those dwarves... and hopefully stop a war from starting."