Chapter 13

Jason sat on the back deck with his laptop on his lap and his cell phone up to his ear. It has been nearly two weeks since Jason had been in Lake Side. And just the other day, he had received a phone call from mechanic giving Jason an update about his car. The new part came in, now they were going to repair his car, finally. Jason had re-laid this information to his mother who had been calling Jason non-stop. "Are you sure that this house that you're staying at is safe?" His mother asked on the other end. Jason sighed.

"Yes, Mom, it is." Jason said. "Mrs. Lucas is a very nice old lady. I already told you that. Now can you please relax?"

"Jason Mark Owens," his mother said, sternly. "Do not tell me to relax. I am your mother and I will worry you about until my grave! Even then I'll worry about you." Jason cringed at the sound of his full name. He knew he shouldn't have said that.

"Look, Mom, I got some homework I got to try to work through. Why don't you call Derek?" He heard his mother disappointed sigh on the other end.

"You know that your brother doesn't want to talk to me. Especially since he got work to do and he has to take care of his newborn son. Your brother is always too busy to talk his old mother nowadays." Jason felt bad for his mother. Ever since his father left, Jason and his big brother, Derek, were all their mother had. He sighed.

"I know, Mom, but I really need to my homework. I promise I'll call whenever I get the chance."

"Okay," his mother said. "Do be careful... I love you very much."

"I love you too, Mom. Okay. Bye now." Jason hung up and went back to his computer. Mrs. Lucas came out moments later with a tray that had a pitcher of lemonade, two cups, and a plate of cookies on it. She sat it down on the side table and took a seat not too far from it.

"I figured you needed a glass of my famous homemade lemonade." She said and poured herself and Jason a glass. Jason took it gratefully.

"Thanks," Jason said and took a sip. His mouth immediately scrunched up and he shook his head like a dog. "Wow." Was all he could say. "Sour." Mrs. Lucas smiled and took three big gulps without making a face.

"You are sure welcomed." Mrs. Lucas said. "I also made some chocolate chip cookies for you. I do hope you're not an allergic to anything." Jason shook his head and took a cookie.

"Nope... well. Not to food. I am allergic to dogs though." Jason said and bit into the cookie. The cookie melted in his mouth. It tasted like heaven. Mrs. Lucas looked at him and tilted her head.

"Was that your mother that you were talking to?" she asked. Jason nodded. "Mm. It sounded like she was in distress by the you were talking to her."

"Well Yeah," Jason said. "She's just worried about me is all. She's all by herself at home and has no one to talk to but our cat, Whiskers. My dad left when my brother and I were young."

"Why doesn't your mother talk to your brother then? Is he older? Younger?"

"Derek is older and he's moved out with his wife and they just had a kid. He always works and is always busy with his son. He doesn't have time for us anymore." Mrs. Lucas closed her eyes and leaned her head back against her chair. She hummed in thought.

"It sounds like to me that your brother could use the break. Everyone should give the time to talk to their own mother at least!" Jason turned off his laptop, closed it and looked at the old lady sitting next to him.

"Did you ever have any kids?" It was personal question and Jason wasn't sure if she would answer. Mrs. Lucas sighed and took a sip of her lemonade.

"No. Drew and I never had kids. I was unable to have any."

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"Not your fault." Mrs. Lucas said sitting up from her chair. "If the Lord wanted us to have kids, he would have given us one." She tapped her finger on the metal armchair for a moment before standing up. "I am going to get some laundry done, if you need me, holler." Mrs. Lucas left Jason alone with only a glass of lemonade and a plate of cookies as company.

----

Later that day, Jason decided to explore more of the small town he was staying at. He was starting to get a little stir crazy. There was only so much homework and so much TV for him do and watch. It was time to do something productive. Jason walked past the Windale's house, giving it a glance as he did so. Jason went about a mile or so when he came across the bridge that went over Lake Jerome. He leaned over the railing several times as Jason walked across seeing fishermen fishing, others boating or canoeing, and teenagers swimming. Once on the other side of the lake, Jason found a small path the led down to the lake itself. The path was concrete with steep stairs that wounded all the way down to the lake.

When Jason reached the bottom, he spotted a plaque over by the small docks. He wondered over to it and read the fading words:

"Walter Jerome had founded Lake Jerome In 1890.
From there, he had built this
Little town naming it Lake Side and
The lake named properly after the founder himself.
Lake Jerome is famous for its multiple fishes that swim in its depths. Fishermen from all over the country come to Lake Jerome to fish in its glorious waters."

"Huh." Jason said. "Interesting." Though Jason didn't really think it was all that interesting. Walking away from the plaque, Jason wondered down to the docks where he could see fishermen and boaters putting and taking out their boats. The cool autumn breeze blew the water and its mist splashed Jason's ankles. He shivered from the cold and thought it best to head back up. Jason struggled with the climb up the steep stairs. He blew out a breath when he finally made it to the top. He placed his hands on his hips and shook his head. "I think that's it for me." Jason said, turning to the bridge and walking back to Mrs. Lucas' house.

When Jason finally found his back to the house, he noticed that new car was parked on the Windale's driveway. Leaning against the silver car was a young girl about in her twenties with straight red hair, tanned skin, and an attitude about her that Jason couldn't place. The girl didn't look at Jason as he passed. She was preoccupied with her phone. From what Jason was told by Mrs. Lucas, he assumed that was elder daughter of the Windales. Walking pass the house, Jason glanced over at the woods behind the house and began to wonder.