-TWO-

She was taken from me, Peach was. 

Not like I care.

As long as I get the crown.

But the problem was, I had to make it look like I care. King Toadstool was devastated. He was on his knees beside me, nobles surrounding us. 

"Why didn't you do anything?" he had sobbed when she was first taken. He had run up to me, collapsed on his knees, took my hands, and begged me to do something. 

He stands. "Mario," he says. 

"Your Highness?"

"I need you to find her," he says. "You have to. She's very delicate. She can't handle this stress."

I nod- a fake concern. I hope she breaks. Then she won't get in my way of ruling. But I have to pretend, remember? I have to make sure my place as king is secured before I make any rash decision. "I will find her. But, your majesty, where shall I start? Who will assist me?"

King Toadstool shakes his head. "Start in Acorn Plains. The dinosaur would have wanted to get as far away from here as possible. Gather a small team to help you..." His eyes scan the Ballroom. "Toad Kinopio!"

A short toad with a white top with red spots looks over and comes over to us. "Yes, your majesty?" he asks, bowing. 

"Help Sir Mario on his journey. He's going to rescue my daughter."

I gulp. I never said that. I merely said I would try. How dare he set me up like that!

Toad Kinopio nods, like the  faithful servant he is. 

He walks off, probably to get supplies for our journey. 

King Toadstool turns to me once more, urgency in his eyes. "Can you leave tonight? I know it's soon, but surely the sooner the better, right?"

I place my hand on his shoulder. "Your Highness, I will do whatever is necessary for our kingdom."

He smiles tightly. "Thank you, Mario. You are a worthy successor for me."

I do a mental happy dance- of course, I don't show it. I smile softly. "You don't know how proud that makes me, sire."

He pulls me into a fatherly hug. "Be strong, Mario. You're going to need your strength on this journey."

What was that about? I pull back so I can look at him. "For you, Your Highness, anything."

He waves me off, nobles and aristocrats starting to pour in closer to their king. They start to lead him away, probably to a safe room. I scan the room for Luigi, my brother. He's standing in the corner, next to Lady Daisy and Lady Rosalina. I stride over to him ."Luigi." He looks at me nervously, chewing on his fingernail. I swat his hand away from his face. "Stop doing that. We're going on a mission." I knew Luigi wasn't much, but he was better than nothing. 

"W-what?" he asks. "What mission?"

"We're going to save the princess," I tell him, pulling on his green dress shirt. 

He trembles beneath my grip. "The princess?" he squeals.

"Uh, you are not going to save her without taking me," Daisy says, jutting out her hip.

Rosalina nods beside her. If anything, I probably would have chosen to marry Rosalina- she was the best looking out of the three and kept her mouth shut. Maybe when I 'can't' find Peach, I'll make her my wife. 

"She is our best friend!" Daisy continues, pulling Rosalina closer. 

"We know her best," Rosalina points out when I'm debating whether or not to take them.

On one hand, I can get to know Rosalina better, but on the other hand, she could die on the journey. Then I would be stuck with Daisy. Sure she wasn't ugly, but she definitely wasn't hot. She was pretty, with brown hair and blue eyes, but not nearly as fine as Rosalina. And her attitude was way too much. 

I smirk. "Fine, You can come."

Daisy rolls her eyes. "We know we can come. We weren't asking."

She sets her hand on Luigi's shoulder. "You okay?"

He's gotten really pale and sweaty. He merely nods.

"You've scared the living daylights out of him!" Daisy exclaims.

"Yeah, and that's going to make him feel better," I retort. 

"Hey! Don't talk to her like that!" Rosalina says, shocking me. Why was she so defensive suddenly? She was always quiet and lady-like. 

I stare at her evenly. "Alright. Let's go."

"We're leaving now?" Daisy asks, finally showing what's behind her stone wall.

"Yes. Is there a problem?"

She squints at me. "Of course not."

She grabs Rosalina's hand and loops her arm through Luigi's, uniting them. I knew what she was trying to say by that- We're all against you

I lead them away, because I've spotted Toad Kinopio. 

"You all ready?" He eye Rosalina and Daisy curiously. "They're coming?"

"Yes, we are," Daisy says. 

Toad Kinopio nods. "Well, let's go get our stuff for the journey." He turns, then stops. "You guys might want to change," he adds.

I nod and grab Luigi to take him to our room. 

Once there, I grab a red t-shirt, overalls, and black construction boots. I tight-roll the ankles on the overalls and smooth my hair back with gel. I tell Luigi to dress like me. I grab a small black bag to fill it with things for the trip. I grab some soap, a razor, deodorant, and some money. 

"Mario, are you sure about this?" Luigi asks softly. 

I nod. Of course I am. "Luigi, it's going to be fine. I don't know why you're so worried."

"Only because we're chasing a giant dinosaur," Luigi grumbles. 

I ignore him. I didn't want to go on this journey, risking myself for a girl I despise. But I wanted to be king, so this was what I had to do. 

"Come on," I tell Luigi. 

I grab his arm and lead him down to a large storage room, where we agreed to meet when we were done. Rosalina and Daisy are there. Rosalina's hair is in a loose braid that trails down her back. Rosalina is in tight black leather pants and a skin-tight jacket with combat boots. I can't peel my eyes off of her. Daisy, on the other hand, is wearing denim shorts, a white tank-top, and a yellow flannel. She's tying the laces on her red high-top Converse. She stands and pulls up her hair. 

"You ready?" Toad Kinopio asks.

I examine everyone. "We're ready."