The Palace

"Sire, we haven't recieved word in weeks. Do you think-?"

"Don't, Yoshi. My daughter is alive. I'm sure they're on their way back, Peach in tow." The king sat in his throne, Yoshi, his advisor, before him.

"But, er, sire, surely you can't be-"

"Enough! Are you doubting your king? Mario is a strong fighter. After all, he's been in our military. He was a General. I trusted him with my daughters life. I expect you to trust me with yours."

The small green dinosaur gulps. "Your Majesty, I am begging you-"

"Yoshi-!"

"Your Highness! Your Highness!" A small pink and white toad comes rushing in, dragging a pink Yoshi-like girl behind her. "She has heard about Mario and the others!"

"Ah," the king says to Yoshi. "See? I told you they were fine."

"Her name is Birdo Valleyville," Toadette breathes, motioning for the girl to come forward.

"Birdo... wait, like the reporter?"

"Yes, Your Majesty," Birdo breathes, her hands shaking.

"Alright, well what have you heard?"

"N-not much," she mumbles. "But they were just in Triba County. And... well, after that, they were in Grile, and-and-" she stops and stares at her feet.

"Well?" the King persists.

"Kinopio's dead," she whispers.

"What? Speak up, Birdo." The King intertwines his fingers and leans back.

"Toad Kinopio," she tells him. "He's dead."

The King stays neutral for a moment, then his face turns bright red. His breathing deepens. "My god! How dare you lie to me? Send her to the dungeons now!"

"But, Your Highness-" Birdo exclaims. "I'm not lying!"

"Nonsense! Yoshi, take her! Take her now!" The King yells. 

"Yes, Your Highness," Yoshi tells him, while escorting a screeching Birdo away.

The King falls back lazily into his throne, Toadette watching him.

"What?" The King yells.

She shakes her head and leaves the room, fear in her eyes.

Once the large mahogany doors were closed again, the King broke into a sob. "Oh, Peach," he cried. "Come back to me, my love." He covers his face and bawls.