~five~

"He may seem cold, but he's actually very kind. He's thinking of his people. You would know if you knew him better," the stylist tells me. 

"Yeah, well, it's not like I'll ever get to know him, now is it?"

She just purses her lips and continues dutch braiding my hair. 

After a while, the door opens. It's the same red-headed man that has somehow become my newfound acquaintance. 

"Foya, you're dismissed."

"Sire, I haven't finished..."

Sire? So was he royalty?

"Now."

"Of course, sir." Foya leaves, her red hair trailing behind her.

"Look, Princess, it seems the Court would like to meet you. SO we're going to get you dressed and you're going to act like a good little girl unless you want your head chopped off with your father watching. Am I clear?"

I stare at him. "Um, sure."

"Good. Now. Romona!"

A small turtle walks in carrying a ball of fabric. 

"Ah.Thank you, Romona." The turtle nods and steps back, my acquaintance grabbing the fabric. He holds it out to me. "Here. Change."

"Um..."

"Is there a problem?"

"No... well, yeah."

"And what is that?"

"Can you turn around?" I squeal. 

He blinks for a couple seconds. I don't care how attractive he is, I was raised better than changing in front of a man I don't care about, let alone one I hate. 

"Why? You could just use the dressing curtain," he says, pointing over to the far wall. 

A pale cream-colored curtain stands where he's pointing. "Oh." I probably didn't notice it before because, you know, I was, like, starving. 

"Hurry. Dinner's in an hour and we have to clean you up and do your make-up."

"Aw, you don't think I look pretty with these mud stains on my cheeks? Gah! I'm so offended!"

He rolls his eyes and sighs.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm going." I walk behind the curtain and slip on my dress. I gasp when I see myself in the mirror. The dress is white with soft pink highlights that you wouldn't notice if you didn't stare directly at it. The fabric was loose, but managed to show off my every curve and crevice. It also wasn't heavy. It was elegant.

It was regal.

I walk out from behind the curtain. Romona was gone, so it was just me and the red-haired man. 

I didn't really know what to expect, but I did not expect this. His face was blank. Didn't even react. Not even a twitch. 

"Well?" I tell him, feeling pretty offended. "Don't you like it?"

"Yes, it's nice," he murmurs quietly. 

I sigh and turn away. "Well? Are we going to leave yet?"

"You still need shoes. And your hair done. Also, you need some make-up."

"Shucks, I thought I was purty without it," I mock quietly.

"Princess, if you intend to survive this dinner, you better hold your tongue. Your attitude may be welcomed at your palace, but things are different here. We don't put up with your kind here."

This silences me. Is he trying to help me? Or is he using me for his use? Because if I'm worth more to him alive, then I would rather die. It's better to die standing than live on your knee's. 

He sighs and leaves me. Alone. In the room I've been stuck in for who-knows-how-long. 

I scream. A complete, absolute scream. It's girly and bratty and ridiculous, but it's also full of my sadness and anger. It's me. The scream is all me. 

I fall to my knees, forgetting all about my beautiful dress and sob. 

I hear the door burst open, but ignore it. It doesn't matter now. Why am I trying so hard to live when I have nothing to live for?

I lay on my side and curl into a ball. Tears stream down my face, blurring my vision. I squeeze my eyes shut. 

Then my mind takes me somewhere. I think of Acorn Plains- it's wide, open fields, bright blue sky, fluffy grass. I think of my dream cottage, the painting coming in slow brushstrokes in my mind. Red walls, teal accents, a kitchen made for baking. Then there's me, in a little sundress with an apron over it, smiling. This is what I have to live for. I don't want to die. I want to reach my dreams. 

I feel a hands on my shoulders, my neck, my waist.

I open my eyes. The red-haired man is wrapping himself around me. I'm silent for a moment; thoughtful. Then I wrap my arms around him, because it's nice to feel an embrace when I've been so alone.

He clears his throat and stands, pulling me up with him. "Come on, Princess. Hold your head up high. You've got to. You can't let your crown slip."

I fight back another wave of tears and nod.  I am Princess Peach. I am strong.

"I can help you," he tells me, "But only if you want to be helped."

"I do," I tell him honestly. I think about how I was just about to tell another man that a few weeks ago but for a completely different reason. 

He nods. "I have someone waiting outside to do your hair and make-up. Are you ready for them to come in?"

"Yes," I breathe, trying to compose myself.

"Charwin!" he calls. He turns to leave.

"Wait," I tell him. "What's your name?"

He gives a little chuckle. "I'm Bowser, Princess. I thought you'd figured that out." He winks at me and leaves me.

I clench my fists, gasp, and the world goes black. 

Bowser being his name is my last thought.