E L E V E N

"Miranda," Jenna said, "How are you?"

Miranda put the phone on speaker and I held my breath, waiting for the news to come.

"I'm fine, hope you're doing great. How's dad?" She didn't waste any time getting to the point.

Jenna chuckled, "Eager, aren't you? He's doing well. I'm just calling to tell you that we've contacted one of the hospital lawyers and they're willing to help you out on your case. Would you like their contact information so they can get started sooner?"

I let out a breath of relief and nodded quickly. Miranda saw me and replied, "Yeah sure. Thanks for telling us, Jenna."

"No problem." She gave her the information and then hung up quicker than she'd called.

I ran my hand through my hair. "Wow, I was expecting that to go way worse than it did."

Miranda hummed in agreement, "Same. At least we have a lawyer now."

I was actually quite excited about that. Now that I finally had more than enough money to get one, it seemed almost unreal that I was finally going to get justice for what'd happened to my stepfather. The person who'd overdosed him was going to finally get in trouble for it. And that made me extremely happy.

The next morning I was woken up by the sound of my phone alarm. I yawned and groaned loudly, stretching as I heard Miranda's go off in the room across the hall. The sound of her throwing something – most likely a shoe – at the wall rang throughout the house.

Typical. She was always angry in the mornings.

I picked up my phone and shut off my alarm, then proceeded to go through my new morning routine of fishing through social networks.

"Twitter, here I come," I mumbled to myself, opening the app and scrolling through my timeline.

@SaviorStyles

I'm really in love with Harry's ship tattoo! Am I the only one?

"Ships..." I whispered. I could probably work with that.

@Zayn_Malik_Baby

omg the ends on my books are so ripped up like its terrible #siblingproblems

I screenshotted the two tweets and then closed the app, opening Messages instead since I seemed to have quite a few.

From: Liam

Goodmorning girlfriend xx

I snorted before replying.

To: Liam

You're really exaggerating with this girlfriend thing.

I went through my other ones slowly.

From: Louis

Hey, I had a line you could use? Only if you wanted though ! :)

From: Zayn

Be careful on Twitter! Just warning you aha :) xx

From: Niall

I wnt ggfnout to niiiigt an d I saw a nice restaudfgrant why don't we goooo thr ?

From: Mr. Earl

Hello Carter, it looks like you've left one of your jackets here at the bakery. You can come pick it up today. Normal hours. See you soon.

From: Harry

Wanna hear a joke?

I groaned. Why did I have so many messages? Why did Niall text like that? Did Louis really know anything about lines from music? And did Harry tell good jokes? Which jacket?

These questions were all running through my head as I took the time to reply.

To: Louis

Sure, what is it?

To: Zayn

I'll be sure to, thanks for the heads up!

To: Niall

Drunk?

To: Mr. Earl

Thank you, I'll come and pick it up.

To: Harry

Errr I'm scared, but what's the joke?

After replying, I got up and got ready for classes after making sure Miranda was actually awake. I noticed that my phone was ringing a lot from the replies but I didn't bother to check them, only because I didn't want to be late and the time window between waking up and arriving at university was pretty small.

I grabbed my phone and shoved it in the pocket of my jeans, then took my cardigan from the back of my chair and put it on before walking out the door.

"Hurry up Miranda, we've got gotta go soon," I called, jogging down the stairs.

She threw the door open, poking her head out. "Uhh yeah, I get that."

I rolled my eyes as I pulled on my combat boots. "Just come on."

Opening the cupboard, I grabbed two granola bars and then shut it when I was done. I heard footsteps coming down the stairs and Miranda soon waltzed into the kitchen, still buttoning up her jacket.

"Here," I called, throwing her one of the bars.

She mumbled a thank you and I put on my coat, grabbing the keys from the coffee table and shutting off the lights.

"I don't wanna go back to class," Miranda whined softly, yawning. She smacked her mouth. "I'm so tired."

"You had the opportunity to have evening classes," I pointed out. Me? I was a morning person. Evening classes would never work for me. I already stayed up late enough doing homework.

"Yeah but," she shut the door behind her, following me to the car. "Then our whole schedule would be messed up and I wouldn't want that happening."

I chuckled as I slid into the car seat, designating myself as the driver of the day. Miranda shut the door and I stuck the key in the ignition, turning it.

The engine coughed, sputtered, and died.

"Shit," I mumbled, trying again.

It did the same.

"What?" Miranda asked. "Let me try. Maybe you're doing it wrong."

"What can possibly go wrong with turning a key?" I asked, rolling my eyes. "A three year old could do it."

"Give me." Miranda said, before turning the key herself and trying again.

It didn't work for her either.

"Told you," I smirked, but it fell as I realized the obvious. "Looks like we're not going to classes."

She made a move to leave the car. "Oh well! Back to bed for me!"

"No-" I held out my hand and stopped her, suddenly having a wild idea. I tugged my phone out of my pocket and quickly dialed a familiar number, holding the phone up to my ear.

"Hello?" the person said once they'd picked up. It sounded as if they'd just woken up and I sort of felt bad.

"Uhh, hey Liam. Do you think you could pick us up?"

A/N Chapter eleven already! Thanks for all the reads and votes! 15k! woah!!!! comment and vote please, it'd mean a lot :) x