S I X T E E N

A/N this chapter contains a few spoilers for the movie House of Wax, if you haven't seen it :)

I heard the sound of the doorbell ringing from the kitchen.

"Coming!" I yelled, my voice resounding throughout the house. I quickly grabbed the bowl of popcorn I'd just taken out from the microwave and walked into the living room, setting it down on the coffee table.

I wiped my hands on my thighs because they'd suddenly become sweaty.

I mean, it was just Liam, right?

Right?

I took a deep breath before throwing the door open, becoming face-to-face with a grinning Liam. He was holding a box in one hand and waved to me with the other.

"Hey, Car," he greeted.

"Hi, Liam," I smiled widely at him. "Welcome to my house...I guess."

I opened the door wider, inviting him to come in. He quickly obliged and stepped into the warm house.

"You can hang your coat right there," I said, pointing to the hook in the foyer. He nodded at me and did as he was told.

The two of us walked over to the living room, where I'd already set up the ice cream and the other food that I thought we could snack on. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous. I was eighteen, nearly nineteen years old, and I'd never had a guy over my house before. The fact that this was Liam Payne, who was not only in a world famous boyband but also my fake boyfriend, just made things about ten times worse.

"Where's Miranda?" Liam questioned.

I waved my hand. "Oh, she went to a party tonight. Good for us, right?"

Liam chuckled. "Yup." His eyes fell to the box in his hands. "Oh yeah!" He held the box out to me with a nervous smile. "Zayn and Harry came over to my house today and baked some cookies...they thought you would want some."

I felt a smile ghost on my lips as I took the cookies from his hands, plopping down on the couch. "Thanks so much," I told him. "I really appreciate that."

Liam seemed comfortable as he followed me and sat on the other end of couch. "Our pleasure," he replied.

My eyes drifted over to the space between us but I ignored it, not completely sure why I was noticing these small things all of a sudden.

"So," I said, grabbing the remote. "What do you want to watch?"

Liam shrugged. "I'm up to anything."

I snorted. "Well, someone's no help."

Liam laughed and I pulled up Netflix, flicking through the selections. I didn't really know what to watch; I was hoping that Liam would choose.

The two of us ended up spending ten minutes trying to find the perfect film.

"Titanic?"

"21 Jump Street?"

"A Walk to Remember?"

"How about...House of Wax?" I suggested, turning to Liam.

He gave me a confused look. "What's that?"

"Oh my God," my eyes widened in mock-surprise. "You've never seen House of Wax?"

Liam shook his head. "Is it a documentary?"

"No, you dummy," I chuckled, "It's a horror film. Basically, a bunch of teenagers are on their way to a football game and stop at this little field and there's this House of Wax, like a museum...I'm bad at explaining but it's good, I swear."