Continuation of chapter 9

I got up and greeted him politely. He nodded back in response and motioned for me to sit down. He sat down beside me. He had some specks of black hair earlier but now they were purely white. He was fair and didn't have many wrinkles. He was an absolutely fit man. He was a successful lawyer in those days. He knows my dad very well due to their careers.

They also have a lot in common. Well that's what Dad says. He shook his head and said, " I used to for 2 hours when I was your age and I never got tired that easily. ". I felt embarrassed. Mr. Kingston was giving me a speech on how to stay fit and everybody at the park was listening. What could be more embarrassing?

I tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear. I didn't know what to say to him so I just remained silent. Mr. Kingston looked at me thoughtfully and asked, " How's your dad? ". I gave him a puzzled look. He never asks me about Dad, " I replied with a frown, " Um... Fine. Ya, he's fine. ". Mr. Kingston raised an eyebrow at me. I got up and was a bit irritated, " What do you want to hear Sir? ".
He shrugged, " Maybe the truth for a change. ". I gasped. He knew what Dad was going through. He had been spying on us! I looked at him wide eyed. That's when I saw someone familiar standing some distance away, behind Mr. Kingston. I strained my eyes to see better and saw Carl leaning against the tree. Looking up at it. He looked my way and seeing me he broke into a huge smile.

He came jogging towards me. He was wearing a brown turtle neck. I guess that I wasn't the only one who liked covering their skin. Within seconds he was standing beside me. He smiled at Mr. Kingston and looked at me. He rested his hands on his hips and asked me, " What are you doing here Ellen? ". I was about to reply, when Mr. Kingston asked Carl, " So you have met Ellen. Ah! That saves the introductions. ". Carl nodded and replied with a smile, " Yes Grandpa. We've met. ".

I stood there in absolute shock and confusion. Did he just call Mr. Kingston ' grandpa ' !?! I looked at both of them. Carl had his grandpa's eyes...but all of this was too weird. Something clicked at the back of my mind and then everything was clear to me. I looked at Carl in disgust and began walking away. Carl looked at me with his confused eyes and began running after me calling my name.

He grabbed my arm and I was forced to turn towards him. He looked concerned and afraid, " What's wrong Ellen? ". I laughed and spoke while keeping my hand on my forehead, " What's wrong?! Everything is wrong Carl! Mr. Kingston knows that Dad's going to be jobless soon. How does he know that? ". Carl shook his head and tried telling me something but I wasn't going to let him talk.

" I'll tell you how he knows it. He knows it because you told him! ". I thrust my hands at his chest pushing him backwards. He could have got hurt really bad but he managed to stand straight somehow. We were near the gates of the park and I realised that everyone was staring at us. I raised my hands in the air and said mockingly, "Is there a show going on?! Move it people! Don't you have other things to do? ".

Just like that the whole crowd was gone. Carl looked at me and laughed saying, " Wow! That was...". I snapped at him, " Shut up! ". His eyes widened and he looked taken aback, " How does your grandpa know about my Dad's job? Wait a second.... How do YOU know so much about him. ". His expression suddenly turned grim. His expression scared me to death but it was gone as soon as it had come.

I had to find out how he knew so much about Dad? He could be an imposter. His hand reached out towards mine. I backed away shielding my hands in front of me motioning for him to stay away. I felt tears weld up in my eyes but I forced them in. I had to look commanding, " How do you know so much? Answer me for God's sake!". Carl took in a deep breath and said, " I'll tell you everything. It's nothing serious. Just relax okay? ".

I was too angry to think clearly. I pushed him back with a lot of force and this time he did fall down, on his hands. I screamed at him, " I love my Dad and nobody who tries to mess with him gets away. I love him so much that I am looking for a job so that I can help him and..". Carl interrupted me, " You want a job? I can get you one. ".