Chapter 6 - Being A Judge

Note :  Hi guys, just wanted to let you know that this chapter will be a narrated by Mr. George Williamsburg, Ellen's Dad. I want to show you his past through his eyes, just the way he experienced it. I can always show Carl narrating it to Ellen but that won't be fun. Enjoy!
***************************************************

What was I supposed to do? I always wanted to be a judge at the supreme court. It was my dream and now that I have been successful at turning it into reality, I don't feel so good. This job is really difficult and people expect so much from you. I need to test my power on each and every person in the court room and it's tiring.

It feels as though each and every case is taking a piece of me along with it but I need to do it because me being exhausted is better than some innocent Spellbound in jail. After Samantha left me, Elly has been really stubborn and difficult to handle. I had to think of ways to connect with her but I just don't have the time for it.

She sleeps with me because she's too scared to sleep all alone. I need to save up some money for her education and the future but I don't see any of that coming with the salary I get. A judge of the supreme court is supposed to be rich but I was just swinging between being middle class ​and rich. Ups and downs of life you know...

I'm honest and I don't sell my faith to those who think that they own the world. All these years I have been successful in building a reputation of an impartial and honest judge that always provides justice. Instead of being awarded for all my hard work I have been ill-treated by my seniors.

The government cuts off my salary each month. They can cut off as much money as they want and when I ask them the reason for it, they give me lame excuses. They do all of this because they have been bought by the rich snobs who have a fat bank account and earn tons of money by simply sitting at home.

After 5 years

I have worked hard, I've worked all day and night and collected an amount which I am really ​proud of. Every​penny from that amount reflects my hardwork and faithful service. I had deposited the money in the bank and was returning home to catch some sleep after a long day. That's when I saw my college friend, Marty standing at a flower shop.

It was getting really late and the streets were deserted. I walked upto him and saw a rose in his hand. I smiled and said, " You still give roses to Rachel, huh? ". Marty turned, a shocked look on his face. He squinted his eyebrows at me. It seemed like he didn't know me. I was a little disappointed but then recognition dawned on his face.

He laughed saying, " George my friend! What a wonderful surprise! ". We shook hands and I insisted on taking him for coffee to the nearest coffee shop, which was my favourite one too. We walked upto the shop and ordered two cups. Marty didn't look too well. He had dark circles under his eyes.

He was wearing a white shirt with black polka dots and ripped jeans. I felt overdressed in a black suit in front of him. He had green eyes, brown hair and was an average looking man but he always had an attraction to himself. However that attraction was not present today. I tried reading his feelings but all I could feel was a lot of guilt.

I held his hand and said calmly, " What's wrong Marty? Rachel is fine right? ". Rachel was his wife. The three of us were best friends at school and Marty had eventually married her. We were too busy in our jobs and lost contact. Marty shook his head, " It isn't about Rachel, it's about Tasha. She's my 7 year old daughter. ".

I smiled and gave him a playful slap on his shoulder, "That's amazing Marty! Why didn't you tell me you had a daughter? ". He shrugged, " You never called nor did I. ". I nodded and said, " I have a daughter too, she is 10. ". Marty smiled. I looked at him and said as soothingly as I could, " What about her Marty? ".

Marty began crying and I was so scared that it was because of something I said that caused this. I took bit of his hands in mine and asked, " It's okay Marty. You needn't tell me if you don't want to. ". I left his hands and got up to leave when he called after me, " She's dying George. She's dying...". He began sobbing louder than before.

I gave him my napkin and sat down. He accepted it acknowledgingly and after wiping his tears said, " She's got lung cancer and there's nothing I can do to help.". I was taken aback. The doctors in our world had the potential to heal someone simply by their powers. They needn't remove the patients clothes or dip their hands in blood. They just need to use their powers and the wound heals. The injury is reversed. The blood goes trickling back into the body and the scars are hardly visible.

However, the treatment is really expensive. I understood what Marty's problem was. He needed money. I exhaled heavily. If I said what I wanted to right now there was no turning back. I looked into Marty's eyes, " Do you need money Marty? ". He looked surprised. He looked up at me with pleading eyes.

He straightened his shirt and looked at me, " The diagnosis is really expensive. I only have $5,000 and the amount is $13,000. I had $7000 in my bank account. I smiled at Marty, " I can give you $7000. ". Marty smiled and mouthed a thank you because he was not in the condition to speak.

I dropped him home and didn't think about what I had done until I was in bed. I was to give him the money within a few days. I felt good but I also felt scared. What if the future holds some difficulties for me? How will I face them? Marty will return the money after some years but what if I need them in a desperate time.

I saw Elly's head resting on my arm. She looked just like her mother. Marty's daughter has every right to live in this world. Just like my daughter does. I smiled and kissed Elly on the forehead. I did the right thing and I know it.

Note : Hey guys. Did you like this chapter? Then please comment and vote and keep on reading.
Samantha is Ellen's Mom if you guys are getting confused. Thanks. Love you guys. Keep on reading and keep voting.