Chapter 7 - A Job?

I could feel the tears running down so quickly that I couldn't even wipe them fast enough. Carl offered me his napkin but I refused. I washed my face in the kitchen sink for the third time in a day. I sat down. Carl looked at me, " Don't you want to wipe that. ". I shrugged, "Honestly I'm just tired of crying and washing my face. ".

I bit my tongue as soon as I said that. I didn't want to explain anything. Carl looked concerned and confused but thankfully he didn't ask any questions. He just looked at me caringly  a and said, " Your dad just wants to finish the cases at hand and then retire. He was supposed to retire last week but he refused to leave all the people who seek justice hanging on loose ends. ".

He sighed shaking his head, " The government is not paying him for these extra days. The reason why he hired me was because I don't charge a lot. I am a reasonable driver. The pace at which things are going on, I think I won't​ be here for long either. ". He got up. I led him to the door. He was about to leave when he turned and said, "Remember that I will always be there for you when you want to talk. ".

With that he left. I sighed, went upto my room and began making my bed, so that I could catch some sleep. I needed it anyway. I had just shoved the canvas beside the cupboard on which I was painting when I was frustrated about the news of Dad's retirement. I removed it and set it up properly. I stood staring at my work.

I had drawn a picture of Dad and me at the beach. We visited the beach quite often when I was little. We used to have tons of fun. I had depicted the scene quite well. The painting showed a father and daughter holding hands, I had shown only their backs. They were staring at the beautiful waves kissing the soft seashore. It was beautiful but it wasn't complete.

I had Dad's photograph on my bedside. I took it in my hands and kissed it. I mouthed a silent 'I love you' and drifted off to sleep. I woke up to the alarm set in my mobile phone. It was set on the song 'shape of you'. I had changed it just a few days back. I got up dancing, feeling really good because I slept well that night. I doubted I would wake up this fresh after what happened yesterday.

All the memories came back to me and I didn't feel that fresh anymore. I quickly brushed my teeth, changed into a black and white striped shirt and skinny jeans. I ate some boiled eggs and took off for school on my cycle. I took in a deep breath before entering the school. I had no idea what to expect. I met Ashley at the gate and we walked together into the hallway.

As soon as I entered, I saw several eyes watching me. It felt awkward but then I heard somebody clap and to my surprise it was Jeff. Everybody joined him and began clapping. I didn't know how to react but it felt good. Ashley had her hand on my shoulder. She had a beautiful smile on her face. I was almost in tears but this time they were tears of joy.

Jeff walked upto to me and gave me a smile. He raised his hands and spoke loud enough for everyone to hear, "The way that Ellen stood​ up and refused to compromise shows that she is a lot more than just a victim. She is a fighter. ". With that everybody began clapping again. Jeff whispered to me, " Nobody's gonna trouble you now. ". I smiled and nodded.

After a few minutes everything was back to normal. I walked up to class feeling amazing. We had a physics test coming up. Ma'am was giving us some hints on what could come but I just couldn't pay attention. I kept thinking about Dad and all that he had been through. I wanted to help him. The day at school seemed to drag on. I was so happy when it was finally over.

I lay down on my bed, throwing my bag on the ground and with my shoes on. How could I help Dad? There had to be a way. I decided to call Shaun. I clicked the call button but then I realised something. What would I tell him? I would have to tell him everything about Dad and his past. The truth which Dad had been uncomfortable in telling me for all these years.

Was it right for me to share that with someone. Even if that someone was Shaun. I hung up. I tossed the phone on my bed and decided to take a shower. The hot water felt good on my tired body. I felt so useless. Dad will have no job in a few days and I will just have to sit and watch him become weaker by each day by the thought that he can't afford something for his daughter.

That's when something clicked at the back of my mind. I almost wanted to come out of the shower screaming, "Eureka! Eureka! " but I'm obviously better than that. I quickly got dressed into my nightsuit. I could barely control my excitement. I hit the bed on my back and smiled at the ceiling. I had an idea.