Freeze (6)

He blinked hard a few times, trying to get the water that was welling out of his eyes to just come down. Once it did, he gently wiped his hands across his face again, feeling every little bump and the heat that radiated from his cheeks. He breathed again, closing his eyes as he did so. He was home alone - it was weird for this to happen at home.

Maybe it's because I'm still thinking about her. He thought. But there's no way she triggered this. No way in the slightest. I find myself actually wanting to talk to her. Maybe because she's Mrs. Hyrule's daughter? No, that can't be it. Maybe, just maybe, I'm getting over this? But this time it's happened at home... Damn.

He was scared. He'd completely forgotten about all of his problems when Zelda was there.

Anytime he'd spoken in the past few days that wasn't when he was home, Zelda was there. If anything, it made his little 'episodes' less frequent at school.

He took another deep breath. He found that he could now physically talk, and that he no longer felt frozen. He thought that he couldn't talk at all to anyone in school, but it really seemed like he could talk to certain people and feel fine, like his parents.

However, he even managed to talk to a teacher and almost have a proper conversation while there were two people in the room other than him.

Oh no. What if Zelda talks to me at school, and I... Can't actually reply? I dont want her to think anything bad of me. No. She's nice. She was polite, and always respects me. When she gave me my book, she walked away without expecting any sort of response, when other people would've been disgusted if I didn't say thank you.

Okay.

Stop thinking.

Stop it.

He started to walk back into the living room when the front door opened very abruptly and unexpectedly, making Link jump out if his skin.

"Oh, hi Link" His mother greeted him with a big smile as she stepped through the door.

"Hi" He had his hand on his heart, feeling his increased heartbeat as the adrenaline from the jump was coursing through his veins.

"How did it-" She paused whilst she was looking at his face. "Have you been crying?" She asked, rushing over to him with her coat and scarf still embracing her.

"No, I haven't" He folded his arms and looked down, hiding his puffy face as much as he possibly could.

"Did you just freeze?" She asked concerningly, putting her hand on his shoulder.

"Don't call it that" He shook her off.

"I'm sorry. I'll let you be alone for awhile. Talk to your father and I if you want to" She smiled empathetically, walking back to the door to hang her outdoor wear up.

He walked into the living room and closed the sliding door, before resting his back against it and breathing deeply.

His eyes fled to the note on the table as he saw that Zelda had packed everything but that away.

He walked over to it, his bear feet making a 'pitter patter' sound on the wooden floorboards.

He read it slowly, but once he got to the smily face, he really did smile. He read it over and over for a while, before sitting down on the cream couch behind him and reading it again. His overactive mind interpreted this in many ways. He was glad that it seemed like she had fun, and that she was going to come back and do it again with him.

He felt like he'd learned more then than he ever did at school.

He felt his heart flutter every time he scanned his eyes over the beautifully written words, a smile forcing its way onto his face, that had finally calmed down.

Zelda.

What a pretty name.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning, Zelda woke up extremely early. It's not like she wanted to, but she couldn't sleep for more than 5 hours after the previous day.

She couldn't help but feel guilty for leaving Link alone. What if something had happened? These thoughts kept her up for a long time, then when she finally slept, it only lasted a short amount of time. She didn't feel tired though.

I'll have to apologise somehow. If I see him and we're alone, I'll just have to apologise and then make sure to not stick around.

She got out of bed an hour earlier than what she normally would on a school day. It wouldn't hurt to be a bit early to school. Besides, she was normally nearly late everyday.

She also thought that it wouldn't hurt to see if she could see Link before school. She knew that talking to him probably wasn't a good idea, so she made sure to set her limits in place before she went.

Once she was up and dressed, she decided to get a lift from her mother.

"Well well, you're up early" She commented, putting her coat on right in front of the door.

"Yeah. Can you give me a lift to school please? I want to get there early today" She hopped down the stairs, grabbing her scarf from the banister.

"Sure"

The car ride was as awkward as the one the day before, with Zelda dying to ask more questions about Link. One day a week didn't seem like enough for her. She wanted to get to know him... Properly.

"Why do you care so much?" Her mother suddenly spoke up, her hands gripping even tighter to the steering wheel.

"What are you talking about?" Zelda yawned, crossing her arms.

"Link. Why do you care so much?" She repeated herself, her voice monotone.

"Because he seems lonely. I know how it feels. I don't know why he has to see you, but that doesn't matter. I don't know why... But I want him to talk to me, to trust me..." She looked out of the window and smiled, missing the smile that appeared on her mother's face.