"Best Friends" from Day One

You run at the wall between Platforms 9 and 10, passing through it with ease.

It isn't the first time you've run at the wall, but this is the first time you're doing it for yourself. Your family has dragged you along every year to the Platform to say goodbye to your older brothers.

Percy goes first, then you, then Fred and George, and then Mum, Dad, 9 year old Ronald, and 7 year old Ginny.

You hug Mum and Dad goodbye and then load your trunk onto the train. Your brother Percy comes by and alerts you that you don't have to sit with Fred and George just because they're first years as well or because they're your brothers, and that if you ever need anything, just let him know. You nod and he walks off.

The train begins to move while you sit in the compartment by yourself. A boy about your age walks by and stops in the doorway.

"Can I join you? I can't find anywhere else to sit." The boy says.

You nod and smile at him.  "I'm all by myself as of now. You can join." You say happily.

He smiles and tosses his trunk above the seat as well. He sits down opposite of you.

"What's your name?" He asks, looking you straight in the eyes.

"I'm Y/N Weasley. You?" You reply, holding out your hand.

"Oliver Wood. Nice to meet you Y/N." The boy, Oliver replies, shaking your outstretched hand.

"Nice to meet you too Oliver." You say, smiling at him.

He smiles back.

This is great! Day 1 and I've made a friend. Let's just hope my family doesn't screw anything up. You think to yourself.

Speak of the devil, your brothers' Fred and George walk in and take a seat next to you.

"Oh,- um. Oliver, these are my brothers, Fred and George. Fred, George, this is Oliver Wood." You say.

"Hello mate. Nice to meet you. Well, we were just checking in on you Y/N. Perc-" George starts, but you cut him off.

"George, we're the same age. I can take care of myself. Oh and thanks for the vote of confidence by the way." You say, shoving both of them out the door.

"Yeah, come on George. Cut our sis some slack." Fred says.

"Sorry, George. I'm sorry that I didn't trust you Y/N." George says.

"Yeah, yeah. Get out." You say, starting to slide the compartment door shut.

"Wait," George says, "We need a word with this Wood kid."

You look at Oliver sympathetically. He just gives a small smile and looks at Fred and George expectantly.

"Listen here. This girl is our triplet sister. She's the only one in the family that is female except for Ginny and mum, and I'm not gonna let her get in with the wrong group. She's a beautiful girl, who is smart and talented, and she's got a ton of potential, so you treat her with the respect she deserves, or else we'll set some dungbombs off in your dorm. Remember, we're in the same year, so you're stuck with us now." Fred says, alternating lines with George.

Oliver glances from you to the twins, and finally rests his gaze on you. He smiles a bit.

"You hear?" George says angrily towards Oliver.

"George, he gets it. Now, GET OUT FOR GODS SAKE!" You say, pushing them out and closing the door all the way.

You plop down on the seat across from Oliver, and look out the window to see the rain that is starting to fall.

"I hope that wasn't too bad. I'm sorry if they were intimidating, they aren't actually. They're big teddy bears who love me a lot, which I can't understand why, but they do." You say laughing.

Oliver laughs with you. "It's alright. They seem like fun to be around." He says, his Scottish accent peaking through for the first time.

"They are, but not when you live with them." You say, sighing.

"So, what house do you want to be in?" Oliver asks, breaking the silence after a few minutes.

"My 3 older brothers, Bill, Charlie, and Percy were all in Gryffindor, and so were my parents, so I'm probably gonna be in Gryffindor as well." I say.

"Man, how many brothers do you have?" Oliver asks, at the mention of your other brothers.

"It goes Charlie, Bill, Percy, me, Fred and George, then Ron, who's only 9, and finally Ginny who's 7. So I'm the middle child since we all count Fred and George as one." You say chuckling.

When Oliver doesn't respond, you look up at him. He's sitting with his mouth hanging open, staring at you in disbelief.

"How many siblings do you have?" You ask him.

"I'm an only child." He replies quietly.

"That's alright. There's nothing wrong with that. Being a middle child is worse, bet you anything." I say. laughing as he smiles at me.

"Nah, they expect so much out of me, and I feel that I can't meet all those expectations that they've got set." He says, leaning his head back against the seat.

You smile a little, but then realize that he's actually in distress about this. You move over to sit beside him, and hug around his waist.

"Aw, Ollie, it's alright. You'll be fine. I'll help you with anything you want if you're struggling, and vice versa, alright?" You say looking up at him.

"Did you just call me "Ollie"?" He asks, laughing.

You smile, laughing too. "Yes, I did." You say.

He just laughs.

"But seriously Oliver. Your smart and kind and caring and a really nice guy. You'll be fine. We'll help each other through it right?" You say to him.

He nods. "Yes, I'll help you and you'll help me. It's a deal." He says.

You lean on his shoulder. "I can tell, we're about to be a great pair, throughout all of the years." You say, happily sighing.

"Me too, Y/N. Me too." He replies, putting his arm around your shoulder to let you lay on his shoulder. He kisses your forehead softly, as you fall asleep on the bumpy train ride to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.