174

I arrive in my father's car at a camp for troubled teens and exit the vehicle, slamming the door behind me. He drives away and I stand in front of the simple white building, staring at my new home until he decides to come and get me. I take off my backpack and search through it for my keys; I had parked my car by the camp just in case he wanted to send me here. I told him that I sold it and used the money for music equipment. I find my keys, dangling them from the ring and watching the small Doctor Who figurine swing back and forth.

"Ah, you must be 174." I quickly hide the keys as I focus in on the woman before me. She had silvery, short hair and a petite frame. She was smiling like a customer service rep and I immediately didn't like her. Her voice was full of cheer but it was a facade she put on for new captives. "Come! Come in! We've been waiting for you!" She guided me in the cold office building and tried to grab my ukulele. I sprung my hand away, holding it away from her grasp. "I'm sorry but I will have to take this. Hobbies are only allowed at certain times for specific children."

"Well, that's bullshit," I scoffed. She jumped back at my choice of language. I held onto it even tighter and stood as tall as I could, asserting myself as its owner, and staring her down.

"Young lady we do not use that kind of language here! Now give me the instrument," she grabbed my wrist and I looked her dead in the eye with as much cruelty as I could muster. We stood there for a moment as she attempted to unravel my fingers from my uke. I felt another hand on me, and then a couple more, and then soon I was surrounded by 3 tall, buff men that ripped it out of my hand, breaking the A string in the fight. I tried to run after it as two of them locked it away but the third held me in place until they disappeared into a bolted room. Once he let go he took my bag and my suitcase away and had me follow the woman.

"You can have that back once you earn it. Now let me introduce you to the space and some ground rules." She pulled out a large grey book that felt like a cinderblock when she dumped it in my hands. I opened the cover and the first page read "A Guide to Citizenship" with a picture of very basic people with very basic features all smiling like customer service reps. "You will need to read and memorize this book before you leave the camp. In here you will find your schedule, rules, meals, and tips to being the best citizen you can be! There is also a map on the last page to help you find your way around." I held the book under my arm and nodded.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a figure peeking out from behind a corner. I looked and saw it dash away then come back slightly. It was a boy with light brown hair and bright green eyes. "Young man, aren't you supposed to be in room 12B?" He stood straight and nodded his head.

"I'm sorry mam. I heard the commotion and was curious," he said quickly and nervously.

"And what do we say about curiosity?"

"It killed the cat."

"Correct. Now run along before you lose a privilege!"

"Yes, ma'am." He scurried away before she could say another word.

The woman led me to another plain white room with many clear cylinders surrounded by simple, white, padded chairs. "This is the cafeteria. You receive your three meals here at precisely 7:30 a.m., 12 o'clock p.m., and 6 o'clock p.m. If you are late you will not eat. Once the food is served the doors are locked until it is gone. This is the only room where food is permitted."

"What's on the menu?" I looked around the room, inspecting the weird cylinder tables closely.

"Whatever we serve you." I opened my mouth to respond when a loud bell rang through the building. "That bell signifies a head count. All children are expected to be to their rooms in exactly 3 minutes or they will be stripped of all privileges for 3-days. Follow me. You will meet your roommates." I decided it was best to not respond and just follow her. I studied the halls as we walked from place to place and memorized each and every aspect I could. I was getting out of here as soon as possible.