Chapter 9

LA was... big. Crowded. Busy. 

Shawn took Aaliyah and I to a little diner that was pretty lowkey but still fancy, somehow? I don't know how to describe it but it's not the same diner you see on TV shows such as Riverdale. 

There were some other famous people there but that was because we were close to the studios where they were in full production of some CW show. Apparently Shawn had been offered a guest role but since there were conflicts with their schedules, that was a no go. 

I was pretty much freaking out when I saw Cole and Dylan Sprouse there. I grew up with the twins on the Suite Life and then later on, the Suite Life on Deck. I've fallen in love all over again with Cole now that he's on Riverdale. 

Apparently I'm not the only one because Aaliyah clung to my arm, gripping it tightly. "Sabrina, do you see what I see? Is that Jughead?" 

"No, that's Cole Sprouse but he does play Jughead. You have good eyes, Aaliyah, good news you don't need glasses." I corrected her. 

She rolled her eyes. "You know what I mean." 

"Your brother is Shawn Mendes, you'd think that you'd handle seeing a famous person better than that. Hell, I don't have anyone in the family that's even remotely close to being famous and you don't see me freaking out, do you?" I asked. 

"Well... no, but I'm not really freaking out." 

Shawn snorted. "Yes, you are." 

Before Aaliyah could retort, a waitress appeared at our table with a smile on her face. She looked at us until her eyes fell on Shawn and all of the sudden, her smile grew. "Hi there, what can I get ya?" 

"Uhm, I'd like a burger with fries and a strawberry shake." Aaliyah ordered. 

I nodded. "I'll have the same." 

Shawn looked at the two of us. "You know what, I'll have that as well." 

"Sure thing." She left with a wink. 

I turned to the two siblings, mostly focusing on Shawn. "Hey, do you know her?" 

"No, why?" He asked with a frown. 

"No, it's nothing. It just seemed like she knew you. I mean, actually knew you. I don't know, I guess I'm seeing stuff. Never mind." I quickly talked it off. 

"Does it bother you?" He asked while Aaliyah sat back, smirking. 

With a deeper frown, I shook my head. "No, it's okay. Uhm, excuse me for a second." 

I walked to the washroom, hearing Aaliyah saying she needed to use the washroom as well. She walked in a couple of seconds after me. 

"Hey, you okay?" She asked. 

I shook my head with a deep sigh. "No, I'm not, actually. I don't know what to do Ali." 

She put a hand on my shoulder. "I get it... sorta... I mean, you're in love with my brother but seeing a woman walking up to him like that and 'flirting' with him like tha-"

"No, what? No! I'm not in love with your brother! I admit, I'm having a crush on him but I'm not in love with him." I quickly cut her off. 

"I guess you don't know it yourself then. Neither does Shawn, if you want to know." 

"What? Aaliyah, you're seeing things that aren't there. Your brother has no interest in me. At least not in that way." I pushed off from the vanity."Uhm, I'm going back out. Just, don't say anything to your brother, okay?" 

"Yeah. Of course." 

I smiled and pinched her shoulder. "Thanks." 

With a last sigh, I opened the door and went to our table. Our food had been served but Shawn was sitting there with a weird look on his face. "Hey, you okay?" 

"Yeah." He sighed and looked up. "Don't worry about it." 

He crumpled something in his hand and I sighed, fearing I knew what it was. "Aaliyah will come out in a sec, don't worry." 

"Okay." He said. "Uhm, are yo- are you okay?" 

"Yeah, I'm fine. Why do you ask?" I quickly answered. 

"It's just... you've been acting weird this last week. You're acting... distant, I guess? We used to be able to laugh and hang out together but in this last week you've been ignoring me or rejecting my offers to hang with me." He said, rambling on. "If there's anything, I want you to tell me so I can help you." 

"It's nothing, Shawn. Just some stuff at home." I lied... well, not really lied. Louis has been texting me saying that there were some tensions because his parents were getting suspicious. I was worried about him but that was not what I was worrying about. 

"Is everything okay?" 

"Well... it's just... you know about Louis, right? I told you about him, didn't I?" 

"Yeah, the gay one. The one that's still in the closet." 

"Exactly! He's been texting me, saying that he is worried because things are tense at home because his family is getting suspicious of something. He's been going out a lot 'to the city' and that's not normal for him. His parents know that, they do. I guess that's why he's worried they know. He bumped into his brother not too long ago and he was walking with his 'boyfriend'."  

"Now he's worried that they know, that he's told them." Shawn completed. 

I nodded slowly. "Yeah... Thing is, I'm afraid he has." 

"How's that?" 

"He texted me. Shawn, I have no idea what to do. Louis is asking me to keep silent and I'm obviously loyal to him but his brother is asking me if I know anything and I know deep down he's worried and wants to make sure his little brother is okay." I looked into his eyes. "What do you think I should do?" 

"I don't know. If I knew him or the situation better, I might be able to give you some advise, some better advise. For now, here's a cliché- follow your heart. Do as your heart tells you to do." 

I nodded slowly, not liking the sound of that at all. I don't know what my heart wants me to do. I don't know what it's telling me most of the time. "Right. Follow my heart. Easy freaking peasy." 

He chuckled. "Yeah. I know. Tell me about it." 

.

.

.

.

No pictures! Thanks for reading.