The Only Faith {14}

Beckett had disappeared out of the room by the time Tessa told me where Leon was. I left right away, Fagan still doing some sort of research on his laptop.

                Leon was apparently with some friends outside of the school market. I prepared a story in my head as I walked the path to the market. I had to make sure it didn't sound too crafted and I had to make sure it didn't sound too convenient.

                When I reached the market, I spotted the small group of Blues. Ren and Leon were among them. Some girl I didn't know was talking to them, and while a quick glance at Leon made him look interested, a more thorough glance revealed it was polite attention and nothing more.

                "Hey, sleep deprived ginger," I said.

                Leon turned to face me and frowned. "It's auburn."

                "And yet, you still knew I was talking to you," I said. "Speaking of which, come with me."

                Leon followed me out of earshot of his friends. Once we were off the path and secluded, he gave me a curious look.

                "What do you need, Brennan?" he asked.

                "A one way ticket out of this shithole," I grumbled.

                He gave me a rueful smile. "I might be the headmaster's son, but I can't grant you that."

                "Look, I warned Beckett and his little crew that if I heard anything, I was squealing. So, here I am," I said, spreading my arms out. "They were saying something about going after Mr. Barlow. I warned you, so you can't say I'm an accomplice or whatever."

                "Did they know you overheard them?" he asked.

                "Yea, Beckett threatened to knock my teeth out with a yo-yo if I ratted on them," I said. "I hope your rich ass family can cover any dental damage this earns me."

                "If they heard you, they'll probably change their plans," Leon said, furrowing his brow.

                "Not my problem. I told you what I heard, and the rest is your headache," I said, turning to walk off.

                Leon caught my arm. "Why did you tell me?"

                I turned so I was facing him. "Because I told you I had no interest in any of this. Yea, maybe I'll get labeled as that weak bitch who spills everything. But if it means I stay out of trouble, I can embrace that."

                "You seem like a private guy. The kind who doesn't want his reason for being here to get out," Leon said.

                "Are you blackmailing me?" I said, raising an eyebrow.

                He shook his head. "Oh, no, sorry. I guess it did come off that way. I was just going to warn you that if the teachers know that, they'll use it against you. Regardless, they'll probably bring it up at some point, especially if you become a problem student for them."

                "I'll deal with that problem when it comes up," I said.

                "I might be able to help. If I tell them you're helping me handle Beckett's crew, they might back off of you a bit," Leon offered.