22. Home

"Mommy" Emma pushes open Josh and I's bedroom door the next morning. My eyes flutter open and I sit up to find my daughter standing in the doorway with her hand on her stomach. "I don't feel good" she says as my eyes widen as I jump out of bed.

"Okay" I exclaim as I rush towards her, "do you feel like your gonna throw up?" I ask her worriedly as I kneel down in front of her, putting the back of my hand up to her forehead. "Baby girl you're burning up" I sigh.

"My tummy" she says, not answering my previous question.

"Mhm" I nod, "go lie down in your bed baby girl" I instruct as I head off to the kitchen to get a bucket. Something you learned as a mom was that little kids didn't always make it to the bathroom and no one wanted to clean up that mess from the carpet. I head back to Emma's room and place the bucket on the ground in front of her. "I'm gonna go call you in to school baby girl" I say as I kiss the top of her head before heading out of her room.

I walk into my bedroom and sit on the edge of the bed, grabbing my phone off the charger. "What are you doing up already baby?" Josh mumbles as he lifts his head off the pillow to look up at me.

"Emma's sick" I sigh, "so I gotta call her in and I gotta call into work."

"I can stay home with her" he offers but I shake my head.

"A day away from Matt, home with Ems, it doesn't actually sound all that bad" I chuckle as I dial the school's phone number.

"Well maybe we can all stay home" he replies as he sits up, moving behind me to leave a kiss on my neck.

"Josh stop" I laugh as I shrug him off as my phone connects to the school, "John Adams Elementary" a woman answers. "Um hi, my name is Maya Hunter, I'm Emma Matthews' mom, I'm calling to let you know that she won't be coming into school today because she has the flu." The woman puts the information into the attendance log before wishing me a good day before hanging up.

"Now I gotta call in" I sigh as I dial my own school's phone number.

"I'm gonna go check on Ems" Josh whispers as he pecks my cheek before climbing out of bed and heading out of our room.

"Abigail Adams High" my co-worker Susan answers. "Hey Susan" I smile, "It's Maya, I'm not coming in today because Emma is sick."

"Oh poor girl" she replies, "I hope she feels better soon" she adds before we say goodbye and hang up. I get out of bed and head off down the hall to Emma's room, leaning against the wall with a smile on my face as I see Josh inside with Emma.

"Lambie says it's time for your check-up" Josh says to Emma as he makes the stuffed lamb dance around, Emma giggles as she looks lovingly at her dad.

"You need my doctor kit" she says, pointing to the pink bag on the floor beside her bed.

"You're totally right Ems, silly me. How could I forget the doctor kit?" he asks as he grabs it and pulls it open, taking out the play stethoscope. "Wanna check daddy's heart?" he asks curiously.

"You aren't sick" she laughs as he hits his head.

"Of course, I have to check your heart" he smiles as he leans forward to place the toy over her heart, "sounds good Ems" he says. "What else does daddy need to go?"

"Check my temperature" she exclaims.

"We should probably actually do that" I smile as I step into the room. "Are you really staying home today?" I ask Josh curiously.

"I told you I was" he replies with a smile. "You go get the thermometer, I got Ems" he says as I nod and head off to the bathroom to retrieve it before walking back to Emma's room. I head inside and sit next to Emma on her bed.