7 ✓

GIANT SAND DUNE

The dawning sun hasn't yet crested the distant horizon as Jonathan and the Warden ride alongside a giant sand dune.

"And you snore!" Jonathan told the warden. Evan was about ready to shoot both of them.

"I do not snore!" The warden told Jonathan.

"All night you snored!" Jonathan snapped and Evelyn just smiled at O'Connell.

"Quiet! I am going to shoot both of you!" Evan said and took out her gun. O'Connell grabbed her hand causing Evelyn to frown at the affection O'Connell was showing to her sister.

"We're almost here." O'Connell told Evan and she nodded.

"Good, I was about to shoot both of 'em." Evan muttered to O'Connell who smiled at her. Evelyn was behind Evan and O'Connell jealousy evident in her face.

"Are you sure?" Evelyn asked causing O'Connell to turn to her slightly, he looked down.

"Pretty sure." O'Connell told Evelyn. The others look down and see dozen of skeletons sticking out of the ground. Bleached and eaten away. Some of the skeletons look like they're trying to crawl up out of the desert floor.

"What in bloody hell is this?" Jonathan asked, the Warden shivered.

"Death..." Evan muttered remembering what O'Connell had told her and her sister.

"Other seekers of Hamunaptra." The warden told Jonathan. The American Expedition rides out from behind the far end of the dune. The Americans are accompanied by two dozen Native diggers and an Arab Egyptologist. Beni rides lead on a camel, the rest ride horses.

"Good morning, my friend!" Beni shouted to O'Connell. O'Connell just nods. The two parties come to a stop a hundred feet apart. O'Connell turns and stares out across the endless horizon. Beni does likewise. The Americans look puzzled.

"Well, what the hell we doin'?" Daniels - one of the Americans - asked.

"Patience, my good sahib, patience." Beni told Daniels. Henderson looked over to O'Connell.

"First one to the city, O'Connell! Five hundred! Cash bucks!" Henderson shouted. O'Connell and Beni just stare out at the flat nothingness. Evan turned to Henderson with a smirk on her face.

"You got yourself a deal, princess!" Evan shouted over to Henderson. O'Connell had turned to her slightly but turned back around. Evelyn had seen this and glared at her sister. And then, the sun starts to rise in the distance, breaking the flat horizon.

"Get ready." O'Connell told them. Even looked out into the distance.

"For what?" Evelyn asked confused.

"We're about to be shown the way." O'Connell and Evan said in synchronization. Far off to the right, a huge shape begins to rise with the sun. A volcano. O'Connell and Beni watch it, expressionless.

Daniels, Henderson and Burns share a look, and then, "Heya!" The Americans take off. Racing towards the volcano.

"See ya there, princess!" Daniels yelled. Evan was about to take off after them but O'Connell stops her. Evelyn, Jonathan, and Evan give O'Connell anxious, sarcastic looks.

"Ah, begging your pardon, but shouldn't we be going?" Jonathan asked.

"After all, you rode us all night and day to win that bet." Evelyn told O'Connell.

"Something is wrong here." Evan told them and they - not including O'Connell - turned to her. O'Connell doesn't say a word, staring hard. Beni watches the Americans and spits into the sand.

"Fools." Beni said, and suddenly, the volcano shifts across the horizon. Passing across the sun as it goes. It's a mirage. The Americans crash their horses to a stop and race the other way, after the volcano. Evelyn, Jonathan and Evan smile, amazed.

"Amazing." Evan said under her breath. The volcano shifts again, floating across the watery horizon. The Americans crash to a stop again and chase after the volcano. All three of them confused and cursing. O'Connell and Beni just stare, waiting. The volcano shifts again, and the Americans crash to a stop again. Burns is thrown from his horse. Henderson angrily rips his hat off and chucks it to the ground. Daniels just curses as they give up the chase.

The volcano comes to a stop on the far left of the horizon. The Americans are on the far right. Nothing moves. And then O'Connell grins. So does Beni. They share a look. And then swat their camels and race away. Everybody else hauls-ass after them. O'Connell and Beni are neck-and-neck.

And then Evan comes galloping up, hair flying in the wind. Beni takes out his camel whip and starts whipping O'Connell. Trying to knock him off his camel. once. CRACK! Twice. CRACK! But on the third try O'Connell grabs the whip and jerks Beni off his camel. Beni slams to the ground and tumbles.

"Haha." Evan laughed. Evan and O'Connell race across the desert. Evan has missed this feeling, it made her feel so alive. O'Connell grins; he likes this girl. Beni stumbles to his feet, then quickly dances out of the way as Jonathan, Evelyn and all the other riders stampede past him. Evan beats O'Connell to the stone ramp, racing hard.

"Evan! Slow down!" O'Connell shouted out to the dark haired woman but she ignored him. She races up the ramp towards the gate.

"Slow down, Evan! Slow down! There's a really big-" O'Connell didn't finish because Evan goes ass-over-teacups through the air and crash lands in a sand dune. She sits up, stunned, sandy hair in her eyes.

"Never mind." O'Connell said as he stops at the edge of the ramp next to her camel. Evan then laughs and stands up. The Americans ride up and look in wonder at the ruins inside the volcano. O'Connell gives them a big, shit-eating grin.

"You boys owe me five hundred dollars." O'Connell said. Evan raised an eyebrow.

"Actually, you, gentlemen owe me five hundred dollars." Evan said and looked at all of the Americans including O'Connell.