Bereavement

The first time Lauren met Camila, she was star struck and she knew she had to talk to her. Lauren worshipped Camila as if she was a goddess of beauty and she'd do anything for her; madly in love everyone told her. She wasn't leaving this stupid party without her number. Lauren watched as Camila swung her hips so seductively in the beat of the music whilst her chocolate coloured hair cascaded down her shoulders and bounced along with her body movements. Her coffee coloured eyes stared Lauren down and the small smirk smothered over her pulm lips made Lauren finally walk over to the girl once the song finished. The dancing brunette had shuffled into the kitchen with her blonde friend when Lauren approached her.

"Hi." Lauren began with a shy smile as her hands buried themselves into the pocket of jeans in some sort of way to calm her nerves.

"Hey." Camila replied, a tone full of confidence as she leaned against the counter, sipping her red cup.

"You're really good at dancing." Lauren compilmented causing the brunette to giggle adorably and a crimson blush to creep to her cheeks. "My name is Lauren, what's yours?"

"Camila Cabello." She grinned. "So, Lauren, how about you pour me another drink and I'll show you some more of my moves?"

Right now, Lauren was staring down the very first photo of her and Camila at that party and she smiled through the tears raining from her emerlad eyes. When the pain became unbearable, she sobbed violently into her damp pillows until she felt a light nudge on her arm. Once she looked over her shoulder, her golden brown furred puppy began licking her tears from her cheeks and pounced onto Lauren in hopes of cheering her up. The puppy nuzzled himself into Lauren's arm and the green eyed girl gave in, allowing herself to cuddle up the animal who was concerned about Lauren's crying. She held the dog's baby blue collar and glanced down at the metal plate that dangled from the leather collar which had Milo engraved into it.

The day it all happened, Lauren remembered the confused expression of Milo's face when Camila wasn't waltzing into their house together. Lauren remembered it all to vividly. The weather was scorching and burning people's skin as Lauren and Camila drove along road with tempered drivers all bothered by the heat radiating down from the cloudless sky. The two dark haired girls had been laughing and giggling together all day and to swipe away their pure giddiness was impossible. Whilst in the car, they were distracted by their chuckles when Camila didn't see a car swerve onto the other side of the road because of its flat tire. The engines collided and, from the impact and the absence of the brunette's seatbelt, Camila smashed right through the windshield and glassed buried itself deep within her forehead. However, the most injury Lauren had was bruising from the seatbelt and whiplash to her neck. One of her last memories of Camila was them both being carried away on stretchers and the deadly, pale look on the brunette's face as medics surrounded her moving bed. She'd give her soul to have that image of Camila's near dead body from her mind. Nightmares haunted her slumber every night with that picture. When Lauren opened her eyes from crying, she noticed Milo piling objects of random things in a space next to the upset girl. After inspecting the items, she tilted her head to the left perplexingly when the dog had given her his favourite sock to chew on, his most important teddy to cuddle and his most valued toy to play fetch with; why was he trying to give Lauren these things? When Lauren threw one of the toys to see if Milo wanted to play fetch, he lowered his head sadly, brought the toy back and placed it onto Lauren's lap before nuzzling his face into Lauren for comfort. It clicked, because Lauren was sad, Milo had picked up on this emotion and had tried to cheer her up by gifting her with his favourite belongings.

"You're a good dog." Lauren smiled whilst tears shredded from her green eyes. "You know, Milo, I almost refused to adopt you." The husky voice laughed but with an upset frown quickly falling onto her lips. "It wasn't until Camila desperately begged to get a puppy and I told her what about work? We don't have time for a pet, but she always reminded me, oh Lauren, we only live once and we can't let a job run our lives; so let's get a dog!  She was very convincing and I'm so glad we got you, Milo." Lauren grinned, wiping away the water slowly staining her cheeks as Milo contently sat, staring at Lauren with his tongue flopping out of his mouth and his tail waggled at full speed. "And you didn't understand a single word of that because you're a dog." She sighed out with realisation.