Prologue Prt 1

Paul's POV

I walk into Sam's after a long day of patrol. The Cullen's haven't stirred up any trouble, but Sam likes being softer than we are sorry. So, he has the pack patrol in different shifts.

I can't really go home during the day.... My mom, Anne, works day shifts at the local hospital. My father, Darrel, is a drunk..... He drinks everyday. He is usually passed out when I make it home by nightfall. Sam knows about this, so he has no problem with me spending my time here.

"Anything?" Sam asks gruffly from then armchair directly in front of the kitchen door.

"Nope, as usual." I reply.

Sam hums and he closes his eyes before getting up. "It's my shift anyways."

I go to the kitchen, where Emily Young stands over the stove and oven. I smell the blueberries and I sit at the table with the others who have phased so far. Sam expects Quil and Embry to phase next. Jacob Black is supposed to phase after those two.

"Here you go, Paul." Emily says, handing me a muffin. "I know this is what you're waiting for."

"Thanks, Em." I smile.

She sets a basket of muffins in the center of the table, and Jared grabs a couple. We sit there, chatting about little things and eating blueberry muffins.

Sam walks in and kisses the top of Emily's head. He grabs a muffin and he walks to their room, then to the bathroom. The water running tells a all he is taking a shower.

"Good thing he is in the shower." I mutter with a chuckle. "He stinks."

Emily smiles. "Yes. So do you, though, Paul."

"I know." I say with a small laugh. "I'll shower when I go home, if my dad is passed out by then."

Emily gives me a sad smile. "Maybe he is. If not, come back here, Paul."

"Yeah, thanks." I mumble. "I can only hope he isn't night drinking too."

I better head home and check. I give emit a tiny hug and I leave. Going to check in my father.