16: Curiosities and Work Shifts

To the ones that I miss and the conversations that we had.

BrittanyBlanchette

••••••

It was a week later when I was on my shift at the store and standing behind the counter, glancing out for any signs of customers that my eyes met his.

As soon as Ace saw me, he did a double take and his eyes widened when he saw me in uniform.

Cursing out loud, I ducked down and wondered why I kept running into this guy. Thank my lucky stars. I heard the door open as someone stepped inside and I was seriously considering bolting towards the changing rooms for shelter when I heard a knock on the counter top.

"Ahem?"

Damn this guy!

I quickly decided that I had to play it cool and not give away the fact that this was a big deal for me, that this could potentially ruin my reputation at school forever. I also had to pretend to forget our last encounter which I still hadn't gotten over. Just play it cool, I repeated as I willed myself to stand up.

I straightened up and put on a smile. "Well, aren't you a little too macho for shopping at Zara?"

He smirked, shaking his head. "Isn't that a bit sexist?"

"Like I care," I shrugged, pretending to wipe something on the cash register.

There was an awkward silence between us and I couldn't come up with anything to say. I was thinking of teasing him again when he asked, "So you work here?"

Ah, the moment of truth.

"Yeah, sorta like a part time job for a little while. You know, just to kill time."

I could see clearly from his expression that he didn't believe me. "Kill time? I don't know anyone who works a part time job just to kill time."

"Well, now you do." I raised my arms up as a grand gesture, waving my hands around. "Ta-da!"

He raised an eyebrow, still not taking the bait.

"Megan?"

I turned to find Yui staring at me and then at Ace. "Um... I kinda need you in the back..."

"Oh, me? I'm quite flattered," said Ace, winking at Yui who turned scarlet and giggled uncomfortably. I pushed Ace's arm off of the counter. "You spoke too soon, she wasn't talking to you."

I stepped out from behind the counter and followed her into the back room. "So why'd you need me here?"

She turned to me as she clutched onto my arm tight. "Who is he?"

"Huh?"

"That guy," she clarified, smiling wide now as she tried to glance at him from here. I rolled my eyes. "Seriously Yui, when did you become such a drooler?"

"When I see hot guys like him. How come you never told me about him?"

"What's there to tell? He's just a guy from school that I happen to know..."

"How well do you know him then?" She wiggled her eyebrows and I pushed her gently, chuckling. "Piss off. Let's get back to work."

"Okay, I'll give you two some space then," she said, walking away, laughing.

When I came back, he was still there, drumming his fingers on the counter as he looked around. I hoped he wouldn't tell anyone...

"Get lost," I said, flatly. "You're distracting the workers here."

He flashed a smile. "By my killer looks?"

"No. By the fact that you haven't bought anything from here yet."

"I'm not about to make a fancy purchase for shìt that's over the top for no reason."

"Uh, it is over the top, yes, but with good reason." I folded my arms defensively. Zara's clothing really did have quality and that chic style that I loved.

"Okay, I'll leave but not without getting an answer first."

"Sorry, this interview is over," I said, grabbing his elbow and leading him out. He seemed to find this amusing as he let me pull him outside the store. I was about to let go of him when I turned him to me and said, "I don't like asking for favors but could you please keep your mouth shut about all this and forget it ever happened?"

"Why's it so important to forget this?" He was giving me a lazy smile but I knew he was curious.

"Just... don't ask anymore questions, okay? I just need you to not tell anyone about this."

He thought about it for a while as he studied my expression and after a few seconds, shrugged out of my grip. "Eh, whatever. None of my business anyway."

"Yeah. Right. Thanks," I said, tucking a few loose hair behind my ear. He looked like he was about to say something but instead he simply shrugged again and left. I went back into the store and didn't notice him turning around and looking at my back.

I found Yui inside, still wriggling her brows and this time, I reached up and messed up her hair. She hated it when anyone did that but at least I had managed to divert her attention.

"Megan," she whined. "I told you not to do that."

----

Maybe I made a mistake asking him to not tell anyone. If I hadn't said anything, that would've been better and wouldn't have raised as many questions as it must've now.

I sucked in a deep breath and let it out slowly on my drive to school. It had been two days since that incident at the mall and Ace hadn't shown up again to annoy me. Thank God for that.

I had only entered the school when all eyes in the hallway came to a stop on me. I paused frowning. I was used to attention but this didn't feel right. Something was a bit off.

Deciding to ignore my gut feeling, I texted Lottie as I walked to my locker. Where are you guys?

There were only a few minutes left before class and Lottie still hadn't replied. Again, an odd sign because I always get replies from her as soon as I send her a text.

The eyes still seemed to be following me and when I passed by someone, they would go silent and resume their conversations in whispers only when I had crossed by them.

Determined to find out what was going on, I opened the locker and reached inside to get my books when a piece of paper fell onto the floor near my feet.

I bent down to pick it up and quickly glanced at it to see if it was something that I needed. I gasped at what I saw.

••••••