Chapter Twenty-Six

Veronica's POV

I'm standing outside, on watch. I've sent the other two posts to bed, since tonight, I'm feeling particularly compassionate. I smile to myself.

Things have actually finally begun working out. With our group's confidence boosted, they're actually beginning to think we can win.

I lean against the concrete wall and sigh in contentment.

My arm reaches for my gun instinctively when I hear a sound. It's vaguely familiar, and I peer around a wall to spot the now-familiar blue of the Doctor's spaceship.

"That jerk!" I sputter, and I lower my gun. The ship comes to a stop, and the Doctor's head and spiky hair is seen peering outside. "Took you long enough!" I call out. He squints into the darkness and tries to make me out.

"I can't see very well; who's there?" He steps out and closes the door behind him.

"It's Veronica." The Doctor grins.

"Ahh, Veronica! Good to see you, ah, more like hear you. Can we get a light on here?" He tries to shine that strange contraption he's got at me, but it only blinds me rather than makes things clearer.

"Turn that thing off! What an awful sound!" He turns it off, but by now, his eyes must have adjusted to the darkness.

"Where's everyone else?" He glances around.

"Asleep. You can keep me company out here for a while, though." The Doctor looks me over.

"You're going to yell at me, aren't you?" I smirk.

"It's hard to be too angry. We've been getting along without you." He rolls his eyes.

"So you've already destroyed the Lumaros?" I shake my head slowly.

"No-"

"Then you've merely been surviving."

"Says the man who's now taken at least three months to catch back up to us!" The Doctor seems surprised by the amount of time that's passed, but he waves it off.

"I've been popping up everywhere around here just trying to find you all!" I cross my arms over my chest.

"There's such a thing as walking." Now we are easily bantering. He beams.

"Yeeeah, but who wants to walk when they've got a TARDIS to drive?" He pats the spaceship fondly.

"Sit with me, Doctor," I say, because I'm in a particularly good mood. And no matter how annoyed I pretend to be, it's still good to see him. It makes our chances that much less slim. He sits gingerly next to me and leans against the concrete wall just as I'm doing.

"Really, though, how have you all been doing?" I shrug.

"We're doing really fabulously. We have this nice shelter, and we've stockpiled both food and weapons. Ben even found an old truck that we've been using to transport goods, and he's got a nice storing of gas." The Doctor nods slowly.

"Yes. But that won't be enough, will it?" I look at him.

"You don't think we'll do well?"

"I'm not sure how you'll do." I shake my head impatiently.

"Well then why do you have to be such a downer? Stay positive, Doctor!" He smiles grimly.

"I know you all have been quite irritated by my behavior before, and I do apologize for that. But really, that's my way of trying to remain positive. Because trust me, there aren't many things in my life to make me really happy." I'm suddenly sad. Here we were, complaining to this Doctor and enlisting him to help, when I know nothing about this strange alien. I know nothing of what he has been through, and I feel selfish.

"Maybe we could make you happy?" The Doctor's smile widens.

"You know, in my line of work, it's not healthy to make attachments. Yet I do all the time. Maybe it's time that I stop." I lay a hand on his arm.

"Absolutely not! How could you say that? Everybody needs somebody." He looks away.

"'It's better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all.' Whoever said that, they were right fools, mate." I can't help but agree, but seeing the Doctor so torn up seems to physically bring me pain.

"At least we can say that we've loved. After all, some people are not given the pleasure." The Doctor takes my hand and squeezes.

"Right you are, Nica."

That's when the building next door explodes.