Chapter Thirty-Two

Veronica's POV

"Veronica!" I pulled from my day dream and am met by Mckenzie's menacing stare. "What are you doing?!" I straighten up and remember where I am. I'm at work.

"Uhh, sorry, just taking a break," I mutter. Her face contorts.

"That's the third time in an hour! Nica!" She fumes.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" I tell Kenzie genuinely. She takes me by the shoulders.

"Nica. I love you. To death. But seriously. You are 28 years old. You're working at a freaking McDonald's, and only because I felt generous enough to hire you. Nica, look at me!" I reluctantly meet her gaze. "You need to pull yourself together. Your life together. Just get everything together! If you can't perform well in a job like this, you aren't going to do anything worthwhile."

The words coming from her sting. But I know they're true. I nod slowly.

"I know. I'll get back to work." Her shoulders slump, but she attempts at a sort-of joke.

"You better, or I'll have to fire you." I say 'sort-of joke' because I know she'll do it if she's angry enough.

I'm just not feeling motivated to do much of anything anymore. Everything feels pointless. And Kenzie's right. My life is going nowhere. Maybe that's where these emotions are coming from. Because I know what a failure I am and yet I feel like there's nothing I can do to fix this.

I know who I need to talk to right now. Our relationship hasn't quite been the same since he admitted he had had feelings for me, but he still always knows what to say.

"I'll probably visit Ian after work today," I call to the now retreating figure of my friend. She turns back to me slowly, a curious expression on her face.

"That's probably a good idea," is all she says, then goes back to work.

------------------

I walk through the halls of the hospital, feeling uncomfortable. Hospitals always give me this disgusting feeling. I don't know if it's the smell or the too-clean feel of it. Hospitals just give me the creeps.

I walk up to the desk and wait for the nurse to get off the phone. She's pretty, and she smiles at me when I approach, an apologetic look on her face.

She finally hangs up and turns to me.

"Hi, sorry about that. I'm Kelly. What can I do for you?" Her accent is most definitely British, and it takes me by surprise. I don't ask about it, though.

"Uhh, hey. I'm looking for Ian Stanson. He was, umm, in training last I spoke to him." Kelly smiles.

"Ahh, yes, Ian. I know him. He isn't in training anymore, though. He's working now." I raise my eyebrows.

"Well that's fabulous! Is he in today?" She checks a clipboard.

"It looks like he is. I can page him for you. We're not very busy today." I smile generously.

"Yes, I'd appreciate that, thank you." Before she does though, I hear his voice behind me, and my heart soars.

"Nica?" I turn, and I first see the pale blue scrubs. My eyes work their way up slowly to his face, which is clean-shaven. He's smiling, and he holds his arms out. "Come here!"

I run into his arms, grateful for the familiar feel of them. His hold tightens on me.

"I've missed you," I whisper, and he chuckles.

"It's only been a few months."

More like a lifetime, I think to myself. He pulls away.

"Hey, I was about to go on my break. Want to join me?" I nod and follow him.